VMware Cloud Community
Homdax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installing vCenter - on to existing ESXi??

So I got the VMUG license package and there is something extremely basic I just need verified.

I downloaded the appliance files for vCenter and put them on a Windows Server that is running standalone, I thought I should install vCenter there. During the first steps of the installation it asks me for my ESXi Host IP (a standalone setup on another physical server) and logon information. There I stop.

I do not want to jeopardize my current running machines at this time, so the question would be is this what I want it to do? Install "on" my current ESXi?  I can't find my way around the overwhelming documentation so I just ask here.

How does the vCenter administer an ESXi if it is installed within that same ESXi? Sorry, that logic kinda fails me.

- - -
CLI is the lack of UI.
Small, tiny, SOHO. Micro MSP.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
pmichelli
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You cannot run vCenter on Windows OS as of version 7.  Only the virtual appliance. 

You mount the ISO to your Windows or Mac workstation, run the installer and point it to an ESXi host.  The appliance has to reside on your ESXi Server.

Once you get that deployed and login to the vCenter server, you create a Datacenter, then either add your ESXi host(s) to the Datacenter, or you can create a cluster inside the Datacenter and add your host(s) to the cluster.

This is how it is designed to work. Once you have vCenter up and running with hosts attached, you don't need to login to ESXi host to do any management as it will all be controlled by vCenter.  

Nothing will happen to your existing VMs. Once you add your host to vCenter, you will see all the VMs running in the host inventory. Don't worry

I hope this helps.  Feel free to ask more questions, I am happy to help you learn

Homdax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@pmichelli 

Thanks. I must admit I thought this was simpler. The ESXi Standalone Free license I installed on my HPE Proliant was so easy to get up and running (patching issues aside!) and my main reason to get VMUG and vCenter is to simplify patching and also look at VMWares security solutions to a greater extent.

So trying to simplify, I have an empty server, well two, (Dual Xeon, 24 Cores, 146GB DDR3 RAM, 7TB SAS Disk, any RAID possible) where do I start? What do I install and in what order? I think the answer to that might be what I need. I will probably have to use the -AllowLegacyCPU switch in the installation.

I want to be able to run virtual machines in an environment that is as safe as possible and where the cli cmd for patching do not differ between patches, but can be handled with a simple "update" button, or similar. Maybe, if I use both machines, in a cluster. 

This is not corporate, this is my homeserver (SOHO) setup in a 48U rack in my garage with 1GB Network and Mikrotik handling Routing and Switching.

- - -
CLI is the lack of UI.
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi is free - running 2 ESXi 7 is also free.
Running vCenter puts you into a range where other folks buy second hand cars.

To run VMs safely all you need is to avoid thin provisioning - you sre do not need vCenter ....

Ulli

0 Kudos
Homdax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Am I to understand your post as I wasted 200$ for zero benefits? TBH I find that hard to believe.

- - -
CLI is the lack of UI.
0 Kudos
HawkinsH
Contributor
Contributor

The VMware vCenter Server appliance can be deployed on ESXi 6.5 hosts or later or on vCenter Server instances 6.5 or later. You can deploy the vCenter Server appliance using the GUI or CLI installer.

myACPNY Portal

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Youre right and you dont have waste your money. Because for the 200$ you get

1. Cloning
  2. Permissions
  3. Folders
  4. Policies
  5. Alarms
  6. Long time statistics

with vCenter and anabling the VADP and other APIs on the Host.

But.. yes, the LCM is a little bit limited when running on your one and only Host. But it can be use to check for compliance when it comes to the patches.

Regards
Joerg

Homdax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I have sorted out the installation sequence, which was not working out for me. Don't know why I thought I would be able to run an installer from within Windows, but then again, it is available.

Going to try a fresh ISO installation of VMware-VMvisor-Installer-7.0U3c-19193900.x86_64 on to one of my servers according to  Installing ESXi (vmware.com) and related docs.

- - -
CLI is the lack of UI.
0 Kudos
DanRobinsonHP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter notoriously hates bad DNS.

If you can pre-create a DNS entry inside your home lab for vCenter, and make sure it works both forward and backwards, that will help the install process go smoother.

Homdax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yup, I have come to realize that. Am I stupid to expect the installation dialogues to go red with exclamation marks if I don't specify some things like DNS? Mandatory fields control?  IF YOU DONT HAVE THIS SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE

Bleh, making a dns in winsrv, maybe overkill, but need to have a winsrv on the network anyhow for other reasons...

- - -
CLI is the lack of UI.
0 Kudos