VMware Cloud Community
Joaq82
Contributor
Contributor

Installing update Manager and getting credentials error

Good morning all,

I have searched high and low for a resolution to this issue and what I have found has not worked for my build yet. I have been trying to get the vsphere update manager 6.0 to install on vcenter server, but it fails every time with the pop up box saying,

" Setup failed with an unknown error. Vcenter server credentials could not be validated".

I searched this site as well and didn't see anything then again I could have over looked it or not be in the right place searching.

I have verified my credentials and they are valid and I have made sure the environment variables have no spaces. I have also tried use the FQDN as the user name

and that didn't help.

Can anyone make any other recommendations on things that I haven't tried?

Thanks again in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post screenshots of your failed installation steps?

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you using the administrator@vsphere.local credentails or any domain credentials which has vCenter level permissions?

VMware Knowledge Base

VMware Knowledge Base

you can refer the above KB for reference related to the password issues

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
iinceilesupport
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having the same issue trying to install update manager with the newest patch of Vcenter (VMware-VIMSetup-all-6.0.0-7040641).  I attempt to install Update Manger and receive the error "vicInstallUtils.exe has stopped working."  I am able to proceed further with the install until prompted for credentials and then " Setup failed with an unknown error. Vcenter server credentials could not be validated".  I have attempted uninstalling my old version of update manager completely and doing a new fresh install of VUM.  Same errors.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  

0 Kudos