VMware Cloud Community
MNKrantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installing software via an RDC connection

So I have heard that one should never install software on a windows virtual machine via an RDC session, that you should always use the console when installing software. Is there any validity to that statement?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

A little.  I wouldn't install something like a NIC driver over RDC, in case it brings down my network connection to the machine, but I can't think of any other good reason.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

+1 to Matt's comments.

Unless the software has to be specifically installed at the console then there is no reason not to use RDP/RDC.  I have only seen 1 such software, and it was an in-house developed app.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

If you use the DRAC on Dell or Remote lights Out on HP you can do the nic stuff as you can still console in. We had a fellow in our state network that imaged 100 servers remotely through Remote Lights out  I always install via rdp-the drac makes it act like you're at the console if you're really that concerned. Who uses a physical monitor or KVM nolwadays? A lot of my work is done sitting in front of the TV set in my robe at night.

0 Kudos