VMware Cloud Community
akreitman
Contributor
Contributor

Installing guest os from USB

We have windows pe based bootable USBs that we use for our operating system deployments.  These include both Windows Embedded Standard 7 and Embedded Windows Server 2008R2.   When I power up a vm to the bios, I don't see a way to boot from a USB.  How do I configure USB boot so I can install our deployments.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You may be able to use USB passthrough but I would just convert what you have into ISO files and store those on the datastore. No need to plug in a USB device.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1022290 for the knowledgebase reference to USB passthrough.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

converting to ISO is the easiest way ..

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Creating a USB bootable installation key for XP etc can be done, but is a little painful - once you've done this, you then need to get your VM to boot from a USB passthrough - so more messing about.

Simply download the ISO (or create an ISO of the CD)

If you insist on it being from USB, copy the ISO to the USB key.

You can now boot up the VM (it has to already be booted for this) and hit 'esc' as it boots to get the boot menu.

Before selecting anything, find the little cd icon above the console - select 'CD/DVD Drive 1' -> 'Connect to ISO on local Disk'

Now browse and select the ISO you created.

go back to the console and continue to boot from the 'CD' that you just mounted.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos