VMware Cloud Community
MD1988
Contributor
Contributor

Installing esxi 5.x

Hello guys,

usually installing esxi-os runs without any problems, but at the moment I got a server (fujitsu tx150s8) thats makes some problems when I want to install esxi using a raid.

The server got a lsi-controller (cant tell you which one, cause i dont know where to get this info). I already tried several things to install it using the fujitsu custom image as well as the normal image and I also used the added fujitsu serverview manager cd. But nothing worked out so far.

When I install esxi without raid, all sas drives are visible but as soon as using raid they disappear. I also tried switching from lsi to intel controller then the drives are visible too but the raid doesnt work even though it was created.

Now I dont really know how to go on. Do you have any idea how to get esxi installed using raid?

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Can you install ESXi on something like an USB stick?

0 Kudos
mofr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this might help you TinkerTry IT @ home | How to make ESXi 5.0 recognize an LSI 9265-8i RAID controller

---------------------------------------------------------- MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator MCSE: Messaging VCP4 Blog: http://vforv.me/ Twitter: @sgaldava
0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

I could compile a custom ISO for you with the driver mofr referes to embedded, if you'd like.

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

According to fujitsu, the driver for the LSI SAS 2208 should already be in ESXi 5.5

VMware Compatibility Guide: I/O Device Search

Also, did you create the drive with fast init? Or is it still initialising, that might explain why it won't pop up.

0 Kudos
MD1988
Contributor
Contributor

In the meantime I even tried customizing my own image with the drivers required but still it doesnt work.

The system always boots into the installer but never sees the drives to install the system.

Furthermore I tried this fujitsu serverview cd and configured the raid again by using the wizard then the system asks for install cd of esxi. after reading it the system boots loading the installer. during the installation an error occurs as shown on the screenshot.

Do you have any idea what the problem is? It seems like when using the fujitsu raid configuration and installation wizard it is possible to install the system but then I get an error. When using the usual way of installing it the drives are not visible.

2013-11-20_080843.jpg

0 Kudos
CageYim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MD1988did you solved the problem? Cause I facing the same problem now, please advise.  Thanks a lot.

Cage

0 Kudos
MD1988
Contributor
Contributor

Not really, cause FTS told us that usually this server supports the esxi version except for a server using this kind of raid controller. Even customizing an iso didnt work out.

0 Kudos
encrypturlyf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This PDF has all the details pertaining to hardware & software. Check it out, you may be able to find out which RAID controller's driver you need.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdoc...

0 Kudos
CageYim
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand why Fujitsu mentioned that machine can support ESXi, and they can sell this kind of embedded raid controller cannot supported by ESXi, really suck.

0 Kudos