VMware Cloud Community
MavsX
Contributor
Contributor

Installing esxi 5.1 u2 on HP ML310e gen 8 0 - intelligent provisioning or no?

Easy question here for you guys. I am installing ESXi 5.1 u2(the HP custom iso) on a HP ProLiant ML 310 gen8 ver2 server. We will eventually have a raid 1 array for data later on, but i want to install esxi on the usb flash drive that is plugged into the board. Should i just install vmware from the cd rom on that flash drive? Or should i use the intelligent provisioning which has an option under OS for vmware custom image? When i get to this point, i am unable to see the USB drive as an option, only the raid array. What do i need to do to enable that usb drive to be installed on? Or should i just install esxi from the cd directly to the usb drive and setup the raid arrays later? thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MavsX
Contributor
Contributor

So to follow up on this thread. I ended up using the Intelligent Provisioning. I figured i should go ahead and use it, since there are options to use the HP custom ISO esxi image. Additionally, i removed the hard drives from the bays while installing to ensure that if it was installing vmware..it wassn't going to be those drives!. After rebooting, it loaded up esxi..running off the usb drive. Then i rebooted again, hit F5 and went into the raid card software..which really just loaded the HP Intelligent Provisioning part for the raid arrays. I also put the drives in the machine before this, so i i then configured the raid 1 and raid 5 arrays.

Next time, i might try to create a bootable usb flash drive and then install the cd like the guy above mentioned. Thanks!

0 Kudos