VMware Cloud Community
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Installing a new VM from usb

Hi,

I am don't have a CD/DVD drive on my ESXi Server and new to install a VM using a bootable USB drive with Windows 2016 install loaded.  I configure the VM and then need start the install but the boot options don't include USB.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Rick

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@rweisernj1 

Yes it does make sense, every VM has a CD/DVD drive that you can either attach to a physical drive if your host has one or to an ISO image file on any accessible datastore. Edit the settings of any VM and you’ll see what I referred to.

The most common way of installing an OS in a VM is to upload an ISO to a datastore, connect the VM’s CD drive to that ISO, and power on the VM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@rweisernj1 

Attaching an ISO image file to the CD/DVD drive of the VM is usually the best method of installing a guest OS inside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

This doesn't make sense.  I don't have a CD/DVD drive to attach to.  And this is for installing a new VM in ESXi.

Rick

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@rweisernj1 

Yes it does make sense, every VM has a CD/DVD drive that you can either attach to a physical drive if your host has one or to an ISO image file on any accessible datastore. Edit the settings of any VM and you’ll see what I referred to.

The most common way of installing an OS in a VM is to upload an ISO to a datastore, connect the VM’s CD drive to that ISO, and power on the VM.

0 Kudos
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

I am new to ESXi. I don't see where I can upload the ISO to the datastore.

Rick

0 Kudos
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

I found where I can upload the ISO.  Now I just need to figure out how to attach it a new VM.

Rick

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
rweisernj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

I found where to attach it.

Thanks,

Rick

Tags (1)