VMware Cloud Community
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor

Installing XP on a Virtual - No Hard Disk Found

I"m a bit stumped here. I' running ESXi 4.0 free. I have two datastores on my server. One is called Datastore and the other is Terabyte.

I have a virtual server running on Datastore just fine. No other virtual is installed. I want to install XP on one of the stores.

I put the .ISO for XP in a newly created "virtual" I call ISO Storage, like I always do.

I created the new XP virtual and pointed its CD to the XP .ISO. I power up the machine and the install starts running fine. When I'm prompted to Hit ENTER for the hard drive I want to install on the XP install keeps telling me there is no hard drive available. I've got plenty of hard drive space. I get the same message regardless of which datastore I use as the destination. I configure the XP virtual with a 40 GB hard drive.

Could this be a funky XP .ISO I have? I shouldn't have to specially configure the virtual hard drive, should I? I just use the wizard to create the virtual.

Thanks for any tips or help on this.

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

The other option is install the OS with IDE Harddisk. Later on you can convert it from IDE to SCSI and then create a template.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions.

It turns out that this was my error. Instead of choosing "32-bit XP" as my op system during the setup of the VM I chose "64-bit XP". Then I attempted to install a 32 bit version of XP. This caused the problem of the XP install not seeing the virtual hard drive. When I did it right - choosing "32-bit XP" as my VM type during the wizard it all works properly.

Sorry for my confusion. Thank you for your help.

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos
adelisa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi MikeGIllinois,

Nice to hear you that problem has been resolved. But In my case I have installed 32 bit xp on vmware .so its completely depend upon the verion and hardware and BIOS .

"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader."
0 Kudos