VMware Cloud Community
vmware0101
Contributor
Contributor

Installing XP on 2nd Datastore fails

I'm having a problem installing windows on a vm stored on datastore2...

I create a new virtual machine on datastore2, boot from an XP ISO.

I select the disk, format and Windows copies setup files. It then prompts me to reboot to continue.

The VM boots from the hard disk and then gives the following message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\inf\biosinfo.inf

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup cd-rom.

Select 'r' at the first screen to repair."

...and I cannot continue. This only ever happens when the VM is added to datastore2 - on datastore1 it installs fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Vmware0101,

Welcome to the forum.

Is there any difference between VMs on datastore 1 and 2: hardware version, scsi controller, vmdk type or size ... ?

What are the differences between datastore 1 and 2: sizes, physical disks...?

If you have a working VM in datastore1, could you clone it or move to datastore2 to check if it works fine?

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
vmware0101
Contributor
Contributor

Hi FranckRookie,

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, I believe I've now found the problem.

Datastore 1: 160GB disk

Datastore 2: 1TB disk

I tried creating a new VM as mentioned in my original post, I also tried copying the VMs directory from datastore 1 to 2 as you suggested, and adding it to the inventory. When I did this, the VM would boot, but just before getting to the desktop XP would show a dialogue saying something along the lines of the swap file couldn't be found/ accessed.

I had a suspicion the disk may have been faulty so have swapped the 1TB for a 250GB, and all appears to work fine - I am now able to create new VMs and also use the copy method I tried above.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos