VMware Cloud Community
Maestro2be
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMWare ESXI 6 on separate RAID 1 on Dell Poweredge R610 with H700

Hi all,

So I have 2 separate RAID 1's on my H700 controller.  1 is and has been running Hyper-V 2012 R2 for a while.  My goal is now I put in 2 brand new drives, created a brand new separate RAID 1 in the H700 controller and then went through the ESXI 6 installer and chose this new RAID 1 as as the installation target.

Everything installed fine so it said.  The problem is, if I just let the server boot it goes into Windows.  I don't see any way for me to "select" the RAID 1 that is running the ESXI 6 installation I just did.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing anything wrong or help get this working please?  I want to be able to dual boot between these 2 environments.

**So after doing a little more digging it seems that possibly what I want to do is something called Nested Virtualization and put VMWare ESXi on the entire host and then install Hyper-V VM's inside of the environment and install the Hyper-V roles on those 2 VM's.  Then I should be able to cluster those 2 VM's plus cluster my 2 VMWare ESXi hosts.**

Sound about right?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies