VMware Cloud Community
CinciTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installing OpenManage Server Administrator 7.0 on ESXi 5

I am working with a pair of ESXi 5 servers, Dell PowerEdge R710 hardware.  I have recently installed Dell OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) 6.5 on one of these using the vSphere Management Assistant (vMA) VM from VMWare.  Everything went smoothly using the following command on the first host:

esxcli --server <server-ip> software vib install -d /var/log/vmware/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.5.0-542907.VIB-ESX50i_A02.zip

It was after this install that I realized there was an updated version of OMSA, 7.0, and the client I am doing this work for wishes to start out with the most updated version of OMSA.  Unfortunately, it is not going as smoothly, and I'd like to see if anyone has experienced something similar?

esxcli --server <server-ip> software vib install -d /var/log/vmware/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi500_OM700-offline_bundle-643291.zip

With the second install, I get the following error:

[MetadataDownloadError]

Could not download from depot at zip:/var/log/vmware/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi500_OM700-offline_bundle-643291.zip?index.xml, skipping (('Dell_OpenManage_ESXi500_OM700-offline_bundle-643291.zip?index.xml', '', "Error extracting index.xml from /var/log/vmware/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi500_OM700-offline_bundle-643291.zip: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/log/vmware/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi500_OM700-offline_bundle-643291.zip'"))

url = zip://var/log/vmware/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi500_OM700-offline_bundle-643291.zip?index.xml

Please refer to the log file for more details

In both cases, I used WinSCP to connect to the host (SSH) and copy the .zip (and also tried the .vib) to /var/log/vmware/.  I have gone into the vMA console and verified that these files are present.  I opened the zip file to verify that it appears to work and the correct files are included (index.xml is present).  I tried redownloading the file from Dell and had the same results.  I have tried renaming the file to simply 643291.zip to ensure I haven't mistyped something, with the same result.  Searching for "metadata errno 2" seems to only yield results from people who have had trouble getting 6.5 to install, which has not been the case.  6.5 installed fine for me, but following the same steps for 7.0 does not.

So, has anyone got any insight as to why I get this error?  Is there a different zip file I need to use?  Does 7.0 require a different parameter in esxcli?  Do I need to provide more info?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not sure if 7.0 version is compatiable on dell R 710 as its not listed in compatiability section in driver download page

Did you try connecting to host using Putty and tried Installing or tried any other alternative option for updating the package (VUM, CLI, Power CLI)

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
sybux201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I used to have a similar problem with the Dell Equallogic MEM.

The fact was that the files copied to the host are corrupted and the installation can be run.

Personnaly I suggest you to install OM with Update Manager, it's easier and faster !

So solution was :

1. Maintenance mode

2. Reboot

3. Scan for update.

4. Stage !!!! (this is the point. It force file to be uploaded even if present)

5. Remmediate,

6. Reboot

7. Have fun !

Hope it can help.

0 Kudos
CinciTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Easier than "1: copy file via SSH, 2: maintenance mode, 3: run a command in vMA"? Sounds almost too good to be true.  Not 100% sure I understand the steps you listed tho.  Would this require internet access?  This server is not exposed to the internet, so I would have to work around this limitation.

0 Kudos
CinciTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Fixes & Enhancements section lists a number of "New Platforms Suported" which do not fall under the systems listed in the "Compatibility" section.  Notably I see that the PowerEdge R720 is newly added but the R7 series is as you mention not specified as compatible.  My assumption would be that the compatibility list is not all-inclusive.

I have not yet tried other methods, since I assumed that since I had this method working once, I could rely on the method not being my failing point.  I can putty to the vMA, but have not yet tried to connect to the host in this way.  Not opposed to a different method, but thought I'd stick with tried-and-true unless others have found 7.0 doesn't work the same way 6.5 did.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Would this require internet access?  This server is not exposed to the internet, so I would have to work around this limitation.

If you have VUM in place you could just import the downloaded ZIP file to the patch repository and perform the remediation.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
CinciTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been reading up on VUM, specifically the VUM steps listed on page 18-19 of the Dell guide to installing OM, (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/65_02/ESXi_ts/esxi5_ts.pdf).  It would be a lot simpler for the vMA to handle all of this, but failing that, I will attempt this method.  Can VUM be installed on one of the VMs on one of these servers, or will it be rendered useless when its host is put into maintenance mode, requiring me to set up a VUM VM on each host?  Or is VUM intended to be installed on a physical server and not on any ESXi host?

Additionally, will this work with the free ESXi or will the client need to purchase vCenter in order for VUM to function?

Message was edited by: CinciTech

0 Kudos
sybux201110141
Contributor
Contributor

In my config, I've installed VUM on vCenter as a VM.

I'm just installing OM 7.0 on a R720. Will tell you soon about a R710.

But if you read the "readme" you will see this :

Deprecated Platforms:

Dell PowerEdge 8th Generation servers (x8xx)

All others platforms are supported.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Additionally, will this work with the free ESXi or will the client need to purchase vCenter in order for VUM to function?

You would need vCenter in place to use VUM.

0 Kudos
CinciTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I determined that somehow when I run ESXCLI from vMA, it's not able to locate the file.  I tried again with 6.5 and it also appears to fail now.  I know this worked last week, so not 100% sure what has changed.  Through searching, I did find someone mentioning that they referenced their datastore directly, rather than using the /var/log/vmware path I had been working with.  I only installed vMA for the purposes of copying the zip file to a location I could access easily, and to execute ESXCLI per Dell's instructions.  I do not know for sure if my path was incorrect, or my file transfer via WinSCP was corrupting the file, or if magical gremlins were just not on my team this week.  Either way, I took the approach from a post in January from http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/177/p/19431430/20034359.aspx and I managed to make it work (twice so far) and without having to upgrade to paid licensing or installing VUM.  I did manage to determine that vSphere CLI could also replace vMA for this purpose, which further simplifies rolling this out to additional sites.

1. Shut down all VMs & place host in maintenance mode.

2. Browse datastore, copy zip file to root.

3. Copy down the path to the datastore.  I used the full location /vmfs/volume/bunch-of-characters path.  Not sure if I had to, but this worked.

4. Execute ESXCLI from my local DOS prompt.  This also allows me to paste in the file name, which vMA prevented because I couldn't share my clipboard with the VM.

5. Restart host; delete zip file from datastore; verify OMSA works.  It does.

esxcli --server <server-ip> software vib install -d /vmfs/volumes/<datastore>/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi500_OM700-offline_bundle-643291.zip

Hopefully these steps help someone in a similar predicament.  Much thanks Aravind and Sybux for your responses.

0 Kudos