VMware Cloud Community
jim0074
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing ESXi - fatal error 6 (Buffer too small)

I tried to install the evaluation version of VMware ESXi 5 server and I finished pretty fast. The only thing I could see on the screen was:

Loading /tboot.b00

Loading /b.b00

Loading /useropts.gz

Loading /k.b00

Loading /a.b00

Loading /ata-pata.v00

Loading /ata-pata.v01

Loading /ata-pata.v02

Loading /ata-pata.v03

Loading /ata-pata.v04

Loading /ata-pata.v05

Error loading /ata-pata.v05

Fatal error: 6 (Buffer too small)

Could anyone please help me a bit? I don't know at all, what's going on and how should I continue with the installation.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

to rule out media issues, please verify the md5 checksum of the downloaded ISO image and - in case you are installing from a CD - burn another CD.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - What type od system are you installing to? How much memory and disk space? Is your systen on VNware's supported hardware list - http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
jim0074
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am installing the ESXi 5.0 server to rackmount HP ProLiant DL360 G7, with 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz, 12GB RAM and 4 x 300GB SAS disks in RAID5. I checked the compatibility list, and yes, there it is...

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=server&productid=12843&devic...

Thank you for any hint.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

to rule out media issues, please verify the md5 checksum of the downloaded ISO image and - in case you are installing from a CD - burn another CD.

André

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What RAID controller is the server using? To rule that out, try installing to an USB flash drive 1-8GB in size. Don't use a cheap flash drive, but a quality one (I've had solid results with SanDisk Cruzer models).

jim0074
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As it never ever happened before, I actually didn't check it... but now I did. Yes, the downloaded image had the same size, but wrong MD5 checksum.

Thank you all for your welcome and for the patience with my childish problem, sorry. 😉

0 Kudos
Selvakumaran201
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

we got the error after install the Vsphere 5.1 U1 HP image

fatal error 6/k.00

Fatal error 33/s.00

we installed the same image in another same configuration server (HP BL460C G7)

please let me know the solution

0 Kudos
Justin_808
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

any solution to this issue???

0 Kudos
StephenRahul
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

We got the same boot message (screenshot below) after rebooting one hosts,

Untitled.jpg

The host was rebooted as after upgrading VC to 5.5 u2d, we got a new FDM package and the package was failing with the following message:

*********************************************************************************************************************

fdm-installer: [43617873] 2015-10-23 06:56:29: Installing the VIB

fdm-installer: [43617873] 2015-10-23 06:56:38: Result of esxcli software vib install -v=/tmp/vmware-root/ha-agentmgr/vpx-upgrade-installer/vmware-fdm.vib: Installation Result

fdm-installer: Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.

fdm-installer: Reboot Required: true

fdm-installer: VIBs Installed: VMware_bootbank_vmware-fdm_5.5.0-2442329

fdm-installer: VIBs Removed: VMware_bootbank_vmware-fdm_5.5.0-1750787

fdm-installer: VIBs Skipped:

fdm-installer: [43617873] 2015-10-23 06:56:38: There is a pending reboot.  Remove the vib...

*********************************************************************************************************************

Tried to reset the server again and it did boot successfully the second time. Even though the server rebooted successfully, We got the following messgae during new FDM agent install:

fdm-installer: [38599] 2015-10-28 05:05:47: Installing the VIB

fdm-installer: [38599] 2015-10-28 05:05:57: Result of esxcli software vib install  -v=/tmp/vmware-root/ha-agentmgr/vpx-upgrade-installer/vmware-fdm.vib:  [InstallationError]

fdm-installer:  There was an error checking file system on altbootbank, please see log for detail.

The error is documented in - VMware KB: Remediating an ESXi 5.x and 6.0 host with Update Manager fails with the error: There was ...

Following the above article i got the following output:

/vmfs/volumes/550d5b11-0aa0a2b1-8c0d-001b21ce6bc0/log # dosfsck -a -w /dev/disks/mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0:5

dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN

/dev/disks/mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0:5: 105 files, 42300/63929 clusters

This in my case there was a possible corruption in the altbootbank partition as FDM agent did install successfully after this.

0 Kudos
Digitalberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had a same issue, i had to download new ISO with right SUM. after works like a charm. Smiley Happy

Regards

0 Kudos
RobertFranz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sometimes, the error is pretty much what it says.

I was getting the same error installing on a lab whitebox - turns out the motherboard is just weak and won't handle the ram modules on a full load at rated speed - dropping from 1600 to 1333 was my solution.

0 Kudos
ShafiullahHelal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear

What to do if the installation still fails with Fatal Error 6:

• If you are installing the image from a USB stick or other USB connected device, try to use the USB ports on the back of the system, which are USB 3.0 capable, and such has a larger buffer.
  • Change from BIOS boot mode to UEFI boot mode
  • Install using the iDRAC virtual console / virtual media

I hope Its a best procedure for this Fatal Error 6. Pls try it one by one.

Thanks

Md. Shafiullah Helal

System Engineer

0 Kudos