VMware Cloud Community
compgen27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installation on XW4400

I am having problems getting ESXi 4 installed on my XW4400. Here is my configuration:

XW4400

Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 1.86GHz

8GB RAM

3 x 500GB SATA

SATA DVDR

IDE CDROM

4 x Intel Nics

1 x Broadcom NIC

BIOS Settings: IntelVT enabled, DEP enabled, AHCI SATA emulation. I have tried numerous different configurations in the bios including disabling the Secondary SATA controller and others.

Installation gets to about 72% everytime and gets an error of "Unable to write image to the selected Disk. I have formatted all disks and still get the error. I can successfully install to USB but that is not the configuration that I need. I need to be able to install to the local HDs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you have anything on the disks prior to this? If so try wiping them with some and try again. What sort of storage controller are you using? If it is software RAID (host RAID) and you have an array configured, just try it with individual drives as the ESXi drivers don't support soft RAID.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Install supported RAID controller

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
compgen27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know about supported RAID controllers but I know that others have successfully installed ESXi to the XW4400 Workstation. I am just looking for some help on what could be causing this error and how I can get it installed.

As a note if I reboot the server after failed installation it boots the Hypervisor and throws an error stating "failed to find boot partition"

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you have anything on the disks prior to this? If so try wiping them with some and try again. What sort of storage controller are you using? If it is software RAID (host RAID) and you have an array configured, just try it with individual drives as the ESXi drivers don't support soft RAID.

0 Kudos
compgen27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After some discussions with collegues and some configuration changes it was determined that my install disk was corrupt. After checking the md5sum I re-downloaded the iso and changed the configuration on the drives and installed to the secondary disk. All went well and it is now running on my workstation with a format of the drives. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos