VMware Cloud Community
GaryCollinson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installation assitance required

I have a brand new HP DL 370 G6 server fitted with a HP P410i controller. The server also has a SAS expander card with 16 x 500 GB SATA disks.

I am trying to install ESXi however the disks are not being seen. On the screen prior to the actual install the dialog box reads Disk = Disk0, Vendor = HP, Model = Logical, Type = SAS, size = 0.0 B, Empty = Y.

On pressing Enter to continue the install and F11, a screen pops up with 0% and then produces an "Installation operation failed" and a fatal error: "Unable to write image to the selected Disk"

I have tried using the Smart Start CD to create an array and hopefully format the drives and even installed 2008 server to check no issues existed with the disks. I suspect the issue is with the P410i controller being recognised as the same error was occuring prior to the fitting of the expander card.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Gary

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using the HP version of the installer CD? All firmware up to date. Check the individual components not just the latest firmware CD.

How as your array been configured? ESXi is limited to slightly smaller than 2TB LUNS so you can break up the array into smaller virtual disks with the Smartstart ACU CD. You can also consider installing directly to a USB stick or SD. You should have an internal slot for same specifically for this. Install to USB / SD is a supported install option.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using the HP version of the installer CD? All firmware up to date. Check the individual components not just the latest firmware CD.

How as your array been configured? ESXi is limited to slightly smaller than 2TB LUNS so you can break up the array into smaller virtual disks with the Smartstart ACU CD. You can also consider installing directly to a USB stick or SD. You should have an internal slot for same specifically for this. Install to USB / SD is a supported install option.

0 Kudos
GaryCollinson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was the size of the partition. Thanks very much for your help.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Glad to help.

0 Kudos
BDiChopper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have exactly the same controller, a DL370 G6 and also have 16 SATA 500GB drives.

I have just posted a new thread on here about getting drive / array failures when shutting down ESX (all VM's are shutdown).

Are you experiencing this at all?

TIA,

Mike

0 Kudos