VMware Cloud Community
ahmedadnan1
Contributor
Contributor

Installation Error

We tried to install esxi 7.03 on our lab Workstation that has MotherBoard MSI X299 PRO(MS-7B94) and the CPU is Core (TM) i9-9940X when the Workstation is booting We faced an error as shown in the attached image.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ender_
Expert
Expert

This is the wrong forum for this question (you posted it on the VMWare Workstation board), but this specific error usually indicates that your BIOS did not apply CPU microcode update properly (only updated a single core instead of all of them). Try booting any Linux Live CD, and look at the output of grep microcode /proc/cpuinfo – all lines should be identical (note that the Linux Live CD itself may update the microcode during bootup – you can try installing ESXi afterwards without powering off the computer; if it works, you have a BIOS problem).

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Try the boot option

cpuUniformityHardCheckPanic=FALSE

as indicated in this thread post
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/Upgrade-ESXI-7-0-1-Fatal-CPU-mismatch/m-p/2835437...

Having said that, these days with ESXi 7.0 and higher version, it is better to go with hardware/CPUs that are on the HCL. It is becoming a roll of the dice to install on unsupported hardware. Using consumer-type motherboards are not guaranteed to have the most pleasant experience; even if you argue that X299 is a workstation type motherboard. For workstation motherboards better to go with Intel C6xx or similar chipsets such as those found in HP Z or Dell Precision workstation as some entry level tower servers from HPE/Dell uses the same chipset.

https://www.vmware.com/go/hcl

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post needs moving, so I have reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos