VMware Cloud Community
estela
Contributor
Contributor

Installation Error ESX4.1

Hello,

I m trying to install ESX 4.1 after booting from CD it moves 3 steps ahead it chooses the hard disk and when i say to install it gives me the below error.

The Installation operation has encountered a fatal error:

"Unable to find the system image to install this is due to the image not being mounted correctly or the CD-ROM not being supported"

Which type of CDROM do we need to install ESX i have a IDE Connector DVD RW.

Motherboard:Intel DG35EC.

Quad Core Processor:Intel (supported by ESX)

DDR2:8 GB

DVDRW: IDE cable attached to Mother board

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would do an MD5 checksum on the downloaded iso file. The checksum value is listed with the download link.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
estela
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I would do an MD5 checksum on the downloaded iso file. The checksum value is listed with the download link ???

What  i have to do can u explore more,ur above mail.

i see checksum on download page :MD5SUM(¹) d68d6c2e040a87cd04cd18c04c22c998                                    
                                                       SHA1SUM(¹) bbaacc0d34503822c14f6ccfefb6a5b62d18ae64

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

then you you need to check the hash of your downloaded file. one of the way is to use hashtab and then compare between the download page hash and your file's hash. this is to ensure that your download is 100% identical and not corrupted someway during the download. http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/HashTab.shtml

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In addition to verifying the checksum for the download (http://www.vmware.com/download/md5.html), please take a look at your system's BIOS to see whether there are different modes (e.g. native IDE, ...) available for presenting the CDROM drive to the OS.

Amdré

0 Kudos
estela
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Dears,

I did the hash check on the downloaded ISO file it is the same as compare to listed in website.

Also i checked the  system BIOS the native IDE is enabled.

what else can be the reason ??? also my hardware is also compatible with ESX4.1

Intel Board :    DG35EC

Processor:    Intel Q9650 DUO 2 Quad Core

My requirement also can work with ESX3.5 can anybody route me to download ESX 3.5 please .

IT is urgent for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure whether it is still possible to download ESX(i) 3.5 unless you have a valid license!? You may try it at http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_infrastructure_3/3_5 though.

Another option you could try is to replace the CDROM by another one (another vendor) or use an external drive. I heard/read about issues with some CD/DVD ROM drives respectively their firmware.

André

0 Kudos
NeilRHunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd suggest installing the server using a bootable usb drive.

Look at this page, I used these instructions to make one for a server i had with a dicky cdrom.  It works perfectly!

http://jthomasser.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/install-esx-4-from-usb-using-unetbootin/

I hope this helps you

0 Kudos
estela
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Dears,

I did the installation by branded HP DVDR/RW which came with the branded machine from HP which was from my office and it worked, Can anybody suggest me the compatible DVDR/RW whcih i can buy from the market rather than going with the branded ones.

what type of DVDR/RW hardware we should look for compatibility.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Very often branded CD / DVD ROM drives are manufactured by some other manufacturer or manufacturers and it can change. Some drives may work better or worse with different servers. I would try to borrow a USB CD/DVD drive from someone and try it or take your chances and buy a well known brand.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
JurgenD
Contributor
Contributor

I have this error too, with two different ISO I did burn.

I have one answer to this, the drivers of ESXi 4.1

I am very disappointed about this product.  We do live in 2011, where there are DVD and most of hardware are supported by linux drivers,

and You can't even compile a professional product on a DVD with ALL drivers needed to install ESXi.

Other supervisors, such as Citrix do install, well You better start to deliver a profesional product to the people,

so at least we can install ESXi on EVERY box, white, yellow, blue whatever color it does have.

The comment, to deliver ony drivers for stability reasons, is only in place to cover this lazyness.

I am really tired about this product.  If You can't deliver linux drivers to people on Your installation CD, it says a lot about the policy and the road You take.  It will be the road to a complete loss of Your position in the market.

We want installation without hassle and to digg for hours in Your Hardware Comptability List to find a solution, to finally end up with no solution at all.

I known the VMware products for some 10 years, and this way You deliver ESX to the market is the worse scenario, I could think myself.

Not all people do want to buy high end servers, we want to run it on white box without problem. And I lot of users will agree with me.

0 Kudos