VMware Cloud Community
salogni63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install.vgz fails in ESXi 4.1 install on a Dell Poweredge R710

I have a six-host ESXi 4.1 cluster running on Dell Poweredge R710's.  They boot from a USB flash drive plugged into an internal USB port.  I have done at least 12-20 installs on this same hardware without a problem.

When I try to re-install on one host from an ESXi 4.1 ISO via iDRAC, the installation fails while loading install.vgz with the error message: "Booting: MBI=0x000100c0, entry=0x0040024a".

I have researched both codes, and the only suggestion I get is that my hardware is not supported (specifically that my 32-bit processor is not supported).  I don't have a 32-bit processor, so I know I can discount that.  I have downloaded the VMware CPU compatibility ISO (file:///C:/Users/pguarco/Downloads/VMware-CPU-Compatibility-e.x.p-160658.zip), and my CPU meets all requirements.  The host's previous ESXi installation crashed for unknown reasons, hence the re-install.  It's possible there's a hardware issue.  Any ideas on how to narrow this issue down?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you're doing the right thing. only thing i could thing is bad ISO, (please ensure the checksum is correct). and worse case updating PE's hardware firmware.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you attempted a reload with physical media?  Also, have you tried another ISO, seems far fetched but you never know?

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
salogni63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried another ISO, no luck.  I also tried updating the iDRAC firmware, also no luck.  I will be on-site tomorrow, I'll try a reload with physical media.  Glad to see I'm not missing something totally obvious though Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you're doing the right thing. only thing i could thing is bad ISO, (please ensure the checksum is correct). and worse case updating PE's hardware firmware.

0 Kudos
salogni63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice. How do I ensure the checksum is correct?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

in the download page, below each file it includes the checksum. copy those. then go google and get a tool that can calculate the file checksum and compare. i use hashtab for windows http://beeblebrox.org/ and the built in md5 checksum built natively in Mac OS.

salogni63
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running a few core firmware updates using the USC to connect to Dell's FTP site fixed the problem.  I was able to install ESXi 4.1 without issue following the updates.  Thanks!

Just a note: I never did try reloading with physical media.

0 Kudos