VMware Cloud Community
Coreys
Contributor
Contributor

Install to VHD?

HI, this is my first Forray into a vitrualized invironment.

I have a small network with very limited resorces. My main server that i wish to install ESXi onto is also my main computer. it's running win7 ultimate as such it has the abilities to run a OS straight from a VHD file.. i know that i would be experiencing a performance hit by doing this but would it be possible to install ESXi to a VHD file so that i can do a Proof of concept before i go out and Buy a whole new server?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I don't believe this is going to work.  Your best solution would be to install VMware Workstation, then install ESX(i) as a VM, within VMware Workstation.

0 Kudos
rpcblast
Contributor
Contributor

Depending on your hardware, you may also be able to install esxi to a USB flash device, and go from there.  You would need another internal hard drive(I am not sure if just another partition would work) to act as the datastore.  

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Both advises make sense. If you're just testing it out and want it to be quick i would advise going with Troy. Reason is that with your PC of Win7 it would be very high chances that the hardware will not be supported or get detected.

0 Kudos