VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Install VMware tools without login with any user account

I have one scenario where customer removed the vmware tools from the vm and due to this nic driver was unloaded and no ad user can login. Now the only possible way to fix this that login with local admin and then install vmware tools but customer is not OK with login with local admin account. In this case how vmware tools can be installed? Any suggestions?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
6 Replies
deepaksel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, login the vCenter/Esxi host from viclient and navigate to the VM.

Right click the VM - > Guest -> Instal/upgrade vmware tools

You can find two option, interactive or automatic.

Choose automatic installation.

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

can this be done without any login credential from guest os?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
MBrownWFP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Automatic option is only available for VMware Tool upgrades, not for the initial install (there are options that must be selected from within the OS during initial install).

It sounds like the VM is using a VMXNET3 network adapter type, which gets its driver from VMware Tools.

One option would be add a new E1000/E1000E network adapter to the VM as these adapter types do not get their driver from VMware Tools. If you have DHCP available in the network the VM will pull an IP automatically once the second NIC has been installed (NIC is automatically configured within Windows). Then you can get into the VM using AD credentials, reinstall VMware Tools and then remove the second NIC after you have validated that the original NIC is functional.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

we have already given this option to customer but customer denied this solution.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

If you have a local admin password you have use and install the tools .(if local admin not available )

if you have backup , then restore to that and create local account and do changes on the tools

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please read my question again.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos