VMware Cloud Community
Ugene
Contributor
Contributor

Install NIC Drivers after ESXi 4.1 Server install

Im a newbie to Vmware and Linux..  I installed a second nic in my server (TEG-PCITXR3.xr by TrendNet).  After I installed the nic, I installed ESXi 4.1 and it does not recogize or see the nic. I downloaded the Linux drivers for the card its in a .zip format which is puzzling. I don’t know how to install the drivers on Vmware so ESXi can recognize the new network card.  Please help!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi is not Linux so you can't just use a normal linux driver. ESX(i) has a fairly short list of supported hardware and your Trendnet card is likely not one of them. I would check the HCL http://vmware.com/go/hcl or the whitebox HCL at http://vm-help.com for either an alternate NIC that has been shown to work with ESXi or possibly a custom OEM.tgz that includes support for your NIC.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Also welcome to the Communities.

0 Kudos
Ugene
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the welcome! I will take a look at the links to see if something works..

0 Kudos
Ugene
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the links.. I decided to buy an Intel Gigabit Et Dual Port Adapt to fix the problem.. I hope this card fix it..  To much trouble and wasted to much time trying to upgrade finding drivers and installing.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Wasted time is a tough one to justify but so many people take that route. Please check back and let us know your progress.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Ugene
Contributor
Contributor

I wanted to update anyone who views this post.  The NIC I purchased Intel 82576 Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter Network adapter - PCI Express 2.0 x4 - 2 ports installed it and works flawlessly! :smileygrin: I installed the hardware and did not have to use the driver disk, re-installed ESXi (which is optional) and ESXi 4.1 found the card and everything is running great!.. Now.. I am a strong advocate of troubleshooting IT related issues before "buying my way out of IT problems"..  In this case, a person will have to judge what's more important to them.. Spend a $100+ bucks for a card and fix the problem immediately or spend hours/days on end with frustration trying every possible solution under the sun that does not work... Choose wisley..

0 Kudos