VMware Cloud Community
Andreasbuchwald
Contributor
Contributor

Install ESXi5 with PXE on Windows2008R2 Bug?

Hello,

funny thing.

Try go get esxi5 install with pxe and Kickstart running in a not "normaly" Folderstructur.

Have a Windows2008R2 x64 Server with DHCP, IIS and TFTP64.

If i using the "default" Structure of folders for pxe, means D:\pxeboot with all the stuff inside, TFTP basic Folder calls D:\pxeboot and in DHCP the "Scope Options", 067 Bootfile Name is pxelinux.0 every thing is working fine (try to install esxi4, esxi5 and memtest).

Now i get told for production i'am not able to use the "default" structure, i have to make a folder in D:\PXEBOOT like D:\PXEBOOT\vmware and in there a have to put all my stuff inside.

No problem i thought, but.....

So in my lab i try and i get crazy.

Now i just changed in DHCP the Scope Option to /vmware/pxelinux.0 and made the folder vmware under D:\PXEBOOT with all the stuff from D:\PXEBOOT before.

Try PXE Boot, memtest still working, try PXE Boot Install esxi4 every thing is still working, trying PXE Boot esxi5 and now Error:

Configuration error while parsing /boot.cfg

Fatal error: 15 (not found)

in the TFTP Log:

is see that the read requset for file </vmware/esxi5/mboot.c32> ist fine, next step is to read the </vmware//esxi5/boot.cfg> and here is the problem cause the //.

In the Logfile comes now Error EACCESS on file vmware\\esxi5\boot.cfg. Ext error The directory name is invalid.

From where are this // are comming?? If i play around using the mboot.c32 from esxi4 the // Error a not comming (but a lot of other errors).

So i tried Syslinux 3.86 and 4.04 but still the same.

Anyone seen this error or have any ideas?

Regards

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ITSnoesberger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Today I had exactly the same Problem. In the TFTP Log I found the following error:

Connection received from x.x.x.x on port 49157 [18/09 11:54:37.378]

Read request for file <esx\esx50\/boot.cfg>. Mode octet [18/09 11:54:37.378]

Error EACCESS on file esx\esx50\\boot.cfg. Ext error The directory name is invalid. [18/09 11:54:37.378]

After some testing I changed in the TFTPServer (TFTPD64 V4.00) the TFTP security setting from "Standard" to "none". After this change the staging worked fine.

I hope this will also solve your Problem.

0 Kudos