VMware Cloud Community
e1fueg0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Install ESXi 7 on Zotac CI660

Hello.

I wanted to setup ESXi 7 on my Zotac CI660 and it looks like it has no drivers for its NICs: it reads "no network adapters".

lspci tells this:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)

What can I do about this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

or simply google esxi and realtek, there are dozens of articles describing the realtek NICs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@e1fueg0 

Check for supported NICs: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e1fueg0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can it help me?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@e1fueg0 

To see if your NICs have a driver, and if they don’t you can identify NICs that do which you might need to install in your system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

or simply google esxi and realtek, there are dozens of articles describing the realtek NICs.

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

There is no official supported RTL8111/8168/8411 driver for ESXi 7. The community-supported version (see here) has been maintained until ESXi 6.7. Scotts hint to boost your homelab is a good avise, and, there are some really cool USB 3 network native drivers for ESXi 7 on the VMware fling page here.

But, the Zotac box runs Ubuntu too, and you simply could run VMware Workstation. See the Linux driver page here, and choose the appropriate Linux driver for the Ubuntu Linux kernel. Not sure if UEFI Secure boot VM in Workstation works with the newest Realtek UEFI UNDI driver, but, why not give a try.

Hope this helps. Daniel

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
e1fueg0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@depping very good of you. yesterday I struggled against it almost whole the day, but today I've just used your google query and  found right away how to install version 6.7 (not 7.0, but it's ok). probably, my queries were not certain. so thank you very much 😃

actually, this link helped: https://enk2x.ru/2020/07/04/esxirealtek/

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

good to hear!

0 Kudos