VMware Cloud Community
Vikramaditya_J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Install ESXi 6.7.x on a server that has ESXi 7.0.x pre-installed (Downgrade ESXi version)

Hello Community,

I've recently got 2 new ESXi hosts pre-installed with ESXi version 7.0U1 and we need to add those to the vCenter server. However, the vCenter server is currently running on version 6.7.x and for some commercial reasons, the vCenter server cannot be upgraded to 7.0.x at this moment. So, downgrade of ESXi version is the only option to add the hosts to the vCenter server. I checked that but the downgrade through the roll back option (Shift+R) isn't available and it says "No alternate hypervisor to roll back to". Based on a few forum posts and blogs, I could find that re-installation of ESXi (6.7.x) on the server is the only option to downgrade it.

So, can anyone please advice that will it allow to reinstall the ESXi 6.7.x on the pre-installed ESXi version 7.0.x?

PS: For my project, upgrade of the vCenter server and ESXi hypervisors is planned in the mid of 2022 due to commercial reasons.

Thank you.

Thank you!
Vikramaditya J
Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No you cant have 2 ESXi installation on the server in an easy manner.

Whats your problem with just to wipe the existing 7.0 installation and install the needed 6.7?  It took less than 5min and its a simple next, select media, are you sure, enter, enter and finished.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
If you purchased new servers with VMware vSphere version 7.0 preinstalled, did this purchase include VMware vSphere version 7.0 licenses?

If so, you must register the keys that were sent to you on the VMware site to obtain the licenses, on this same site you can downgrade the new version 7.0 licenses to version 6.7.

https://customerconnect.vmware.com

You must use the same user (customer ID) with which your company registered the old licenses.

In your case the only way is to reinstall (zero installation) VMware vSphere with version 6.7.

As a previous step is to verify that the hardware of the new servers is supported in version 6.7. If it is a branded server such as HPE, Lenovo, DELL and others, it is very easy to verify with the type and model of the server in the following link

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

It is recommended to install with the server manufacturer's custom image.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
Vikramaditya_J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Enrique,

Thank you so much for this elaborated answer. Appreciate it.

Servers were not purchased with ESXi 7.0.x pre-installed, in fact only hardware was purchased without ESXi installed on it. ESXi 7.0.x was later installed after commissioning of the servers. We have vSphere 6.x license keys available and we can assign those keys to the new servers, however as I mentioned in my post, keys upgrade isn't possible at this moment for commercial reasons. So overall, we're left with only option to install ESXi 6.7 on those servers (in fact install 6.7.x over ESXi 7.0.x) and assign the available vSphere 6.x keys to the servers to bring them into the production.

I am just looking for confirmation that will a server with higher version of ESXi hypervisor installed on it (i.e, ESXi 7.0.x) allow installation of a lower version of ESXi hypervisor (i.e. 6.7.x) over it by wiping out the higher version? It is because an already installed higher version OS generally doesn't allow installation of a lower version of the "same family" of OS.

Thank you!
Vikramaditya J
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If your "new" Server hardware is certified or supportet for ESXi 6.7 than just wipe the existing installation and install 6.7u3_latest.  I expect it took 10 minutes to do.  Configuring the ESXi than take a little bit longer.

So check VMware HCL or ask your Vendor.

Btw. you only needs to upgrade your vCenter to 7.0.x to manage ESX 6.7 and your new 7.0. There is no need to upgrade the existing 6.7 Hosts.

Vikramaditya_J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your response.

Yes, the underlying hardware supports both ESXi 6.x and 7.x. Upgrade of the vCenter server to 7.x cannot be performed because we'll need to upgrade vCenter server & new ESXi servers licenses also which is not feasible at this moment and are planned in mid of 2022.

Only questions is:- Is it possible to install ESXi 6.7.x hypervisor on a compatible server which already has ESXi 7.0.x installed on it? (I'll simply download a custom image of ESXi 6.7.x, mount it on ESXi CD/DVD, change boot priority and start installation of 6.7.x)

Thank you!
Vikramaditya J
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No you cant have 2 ESXi installation on the server in an easy manner.

Whats your problem with just to wipe the existing 7.0 installation and install the needed 6.7?  It took less than 5min and its a simple next, select media, are you sure, enter, enter and finished.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Vikramaditya_J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Joerg.

I appreciate all your help & clarifications.

Thank you!
Vikramaditya J
0 Kudos