VMware Cloud Community
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor

Install ESXi 5.1 On HP Proliant DL380p G8

Hi everyone,

I want to install VMware ESXi 5.1 Build 799733 (Not U1) on HP Proliant DL380p G8 server and during loading setup files the error "No network adapter were detected" is appear and does not complete the installation. I looked in HP and VMware website and found that I must install VMware ESXi 5.1 as a customized image for HP servers. I downloaded the Customized ESXi image (310 MB) for HP from VMware website and merge this bundle to original ESXi setup CD by ESXi-Customizer tool and create a new ESXi setup CD. I installed ESXi 5.1 via this new image on this server but above error was occurred again. How can I resolve this problem? will I facing with another errors on HP server after resolving this error?

Any recommendation will be appreciated..

0 Kudos
19 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can use the customized HP image from https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/5_1#custom... as is. There's nothing you need to customize and it should contain the drivers needed for the Gen8 models.

André

0 Kudos
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying.

I downloaded ISO format from this link and try to install it but nothing was changed and the same error was appeared.

What's your idea about it?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which NICs (LOM, additional adapters) do you have in the host?

It looks like a driver is missing in the image. You can find the HP drivers at http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/sep2013/esxi-51-devicedrivers/

André

0 Kudos
NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try installing ESXi 4.1, see that NIC's are detecting or not, if NIC's are detecting install ESXi 4.1 and later upgrade to 5.1.

0 Kudos
Chris_Lynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, but that's not a valid answer.  vSphere 4.1 is not supported on HP ProLiant Gen8 servers to begin with.

As A.P. stated, you only need to use the HP Customized ISO to install vSphere.  A.P. also asked what NIC adapter is installed.  Can you go into the iLO and see if the NIC hardware is listed in the Server Information screen?

12-2-2013 9-45-09 AM.png

0 Kudos
peetz
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

according to the VMware from HP for ProLiant Servers - Support Matrix the DL380p Gen8 is supported with the latest HP ESXi 5.1 U1 Customized ISO, and that is available here:

VMware vSphere 5: Private Cloud Computing, Server and Data Center Virtualization

- Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for replying.

I did all of your recommendation, downloaded both HP custom iso 5.1 U1 and 5.5 but nothing was changed and the error was appeared.

here is my NIC model on PCIe slot :

HP-NC365T PCIe Quad port 1G Server Adapter

I downloaded it's driver for VMware vSphere 5.1 from HP website as a bundle and embedded it to installation cd but nothing was changed.

When error was on the screen I presses ALT+F12 and saw this error in red line:  "Failed trying to get a valid VMkernel MAC Address: Not found. Various VMkernel subsystems will provide lower quality of service please add/configure VMkernel NICs."

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

here is my NIC model on PCIe slot :

HP-NC365T PCIe Quad port 1G Server Adapter

I downloaded it's driver for VMware vSphere 5.1 from HP website as a bundle and embedded it to installation cd but nothing was changed.

With "embedded it in to installation cd" do you mean that you created a custom ISO by injecting the VIB for the NIC drivers?

Could it be a faulty NIC or do you have other servers with the same issue? Perhaps a corrupt ISO?

I am currently deploying 14x DL380p Gen 8 servers with this identical NIC and the only issue that I had was related to the P420i array controller. I created a custom ISO by injecting these drivers and everything else worked out the box. This is however on ESXi 5.0, so perhaps a as a test to see if the NIC is working you could try and build it as a version 5.0.

What PCIe slots have you got these seated in? You could also try and re-seat it in another slot to rule out a system board issue. For mine I took note of the PCIe version and lane speed to choose appropriate slots.

If you want I can try and put a 5.1 or 5.5 image on one of my hosts to see if I get the same issue?

Cheers,

Jon

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

Yes, I created a custom image by ESXi Customizer tool and imported all available bundle from HP website.

I'm new in rack mount servers like DL380P Gen8 and we have only one G8 server to install ESXi. I checked the setup screen of server to make sure that all components work correctly and all options related to NIC (On slot 2) was enabled. Is the adapter stopped working? However, I will download HP custom ESXi 5.0 image and try to reinstall ESXi again and will post my effort.

any assistance will be appreciated.

BR.

0 Kudos
Chris_Lynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no need to create a custom ISO when you download our HP vSphere 5.x custom ISO. Our images already come with the necessary drivers to enable hardware that we released after the VMware GA release of vSphere.  As you have the NC-365T adapter, it's an Intel 82580-based adapter.  The "net-igb 4.2.16.8" driver is already included in the HP vSphere 5.5 Build 1331820 version.  You can find more information about our hardware driver and firmware recipes at http://vibsdepot.hp.com.  The directly link to the current recipe document is http://vibsdepot.hp.com/hpq/recipes/HP-Vmware-Recipe.pdf.  Look under the Intel Networking section for driver information.

0 Kudos
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This problem has been resolved by upgrading HP Proliant DL380P G8 firmware to latest version (2013.9.0) from HP website.

After ESXi 5.1 U1 Installation, we must go to the Network Settings and select our desired NIC from Network Adapter section. But there are two network adapters under this section (Onboard NICs). I want to use my 4-port PCIe NIC on slot 2 but it was not detected. I have been downloaded its driver from HP website but didnt help me. By "lspci" command I can list all of my NICs (both onboard & PCIe) but by "ethtool -i vmnic0" to "ethtool -i vmnic5" commad I cant get successful result except in "vmnic0" and "vmnic1".

How can I resolve this problem and detect my PCIe NIC to ESXi?

Any insights will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Andrei_I
Contributor
Contributor

I had today a similar issue with a HP microserver Gen8. After installing Esxi 5.5 , the server keeps disconnecting like as I am unplugging the cable from the NIC. If I right-click the host and select Connect, I am able to see it for several minutes and then it gets disconnected.

Read on a blog or forum somewhere that I have to install a custom image for the Esxi host with the correct drivers and I am searching for this now.

0 Kudos
Chris_Lynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I provided links above for the HP Customized Image.  You can get it from http://vibsdepot.hp.com.

Hojjat did you get the HP customized image, or are you still using the VMware provided image for vSphere 5.5?  If you are indeed using the HP customized image (without further customization) and the NICs are still not being detected, I would strongly suggest you open a support case with HP Support, as I wouldn't expect one to receive official HP support in a forum.

Andrei_I
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Chris for sharing the link.

I will give it a go, once I enjoy my morning coffee.

0 Kudos
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks al lot.

I can install Windows Server 2008 R2 on it and PCI network adapter work smoothly and there is no problem so Ping command is successful, but in ESXi 5.1 U1 (HP Custom ISO) I have this problem and this is so confusing and painful for me! Can I use onboard NICs and install PCI NIC driver later?

I'm new in Gen8, How can I plug network cable to onboard network ports (FlexLOM)?

0 Kudos
Chris_Lynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The HP 5.1 U1 custom image includes the NC365T driver (v4.2.16.3), which is not in the VMware standard ISO version.  You stated you see the onboard NICs with LSPCI.  What about the output from "esxcfg-nics -l"?  Can you provide the output from that?

Otherwise, there are two things you can do at this point:

1. See if your issue is firmware related by downloading the 2013.09 Service Pack for ProLiant (https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/try.do?productNumber=spp_2013.09.0), and updating the system firmware and try your installation of ESX 5.1 U1 again.
  2. Open an HP Support Case, as you might have defective hardware.

I have already pointed you to the HP provided documentation and solution recipe guides (again, located at http://vibsdepot.hp.com).

0 Kudos
Hojjat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all,

My problem has been resolved. I called to one of the HP vendors in our area and delivered the server to them so they changed the Network Adapter. Now everything is working properly and smoothly. Everything is OK !

Regards.

0 Kudos
cheethamsmart
Contributor
Contributor

Good Evening All,

I am see the same issues, but with my HP Proliant BL460C Gen8 Blade. Running the lastest ESXI 5.1 or 5.5 customized image from HP does not make a difference to the issue. The server will disconnect from the vcenter and also direct management from the VIC does not work as well. When connecting via ILO the console show the ESI interface which is still usable. Attempting to restarting management agent does not fix the issue and only performing a hardware reset and reboot. Anyone as I am lost, frustrated as I about this.

0 Kudos