VMware Cloud Community
tommym121
Contributor
Contributor

Install ESXi 4.1.0 (Build 34848)1on new Dell Vostro 460

Can anyone provide some insight in terms of what I can do since this is not one of the one list under the HCL?

I got this error when I try to install  ESXi

File "/lib/python2.5/vmkctl.py", line 11221, in Load

def Load(*args): return _vmkctl.ModuleImpl_Load(*args)

vmkctl.HostCtlException: Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/vmfs3: Failure

Computer Specification

1   Vostro 460 Mini Tower

1   Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

1   16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz -   4DIMMs Vostro

1   Sandy Bridge i7-2600 Vostro       1   16X DVDROM Drive,Vostro

1   NVIDIA GT 420 1GB DDR3 M207 Vostro

1   125 Volt Power Cord for US

1   No Resource Media

1   Dell Multimedia Keyboard,English,   Black,Vostro

1   Dell Laser Mouse, USB, 4 button, Gloss   Black,Vostro

1   1.5TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM,   Vostro ( I took out the drive and use a blank new 1.0 TB SYA 2 Harddrive instead)

1   Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader Vostro

1   Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet

1   Dell 1525 WLAN PCIe card, Vostro

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

Most of what I found for the error is pointing to NIC cards.  Installing compatible NICs seemed to have fixed it...

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1571740

Installing ESXi 4.1 on HP Proliant BL servers fails with the error: lvmdriver failed to load

Also check the BIOS to see if you have any settings for the mode of the SATA storage.  Try compatibility mode, if available.

...Robert

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If this is for a home LAB and testing I would suggest that you use VMware Workstation. You can install several ESXi virtual machines as Workstation guests. The virtual ESXi hosts machines can in turn host virtual guests. It is possible to some very sophisticated testing scenarios including HA, vMotion etc.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

I use workstation for my lab and loving it.  You have a ton of memory so you probably could build a few ESXi guest VMs.

I have 6GB and can (no comfortable) run 2 ESXi at 2.3GB, vCenter and my iscsi storage VM...while having Outlook 2010 and browser opened.

2 disadvantages of using workstation if you decide to go that route.

1. It is not free

2. You cannot create nested x64bit VMs in the ESXi guest VM.

My 2 cents...

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
tommym121
Contributor
Contributor

I have disabled the Onboard LAN Controller, but I did not add a new NIC card.

SATA mode can either be AHCI or RAID. I set to AHCI.

Same problem.  Any other suggestion?  Does ESXi must have a compatible NIC card to install properlly?   Any idea.

0 Kudos
tommym121
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wolfordr,

what does 'nested x64 bits VMs' mean.  Does it means you can install ESXi inside WorkStation, but you can not run 64 bits Guest OS within this installed EXSi?

0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

tommym121 wrote:

Hi Wolfordr,

what does 'nested x64 bits VMs' mean.  Does it means you can install ESXi inside WorkStation, but you can not run 64 bits Guest OS within this installed EXSi?

Correct. You cannot run a 64bit guest VM in the ESXi that is installed in VMware Workstation.

You'll need a compatible NIC or custom drivers that work to install ESXi 4.x.

Its usually easier and better to pickup a compatible NIC, If your in IT you may even have 1 in an older server or something.

Try this http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=931

Good luck,

tommym121
Contributor
Contributor

I have been successfully install ESXi 4.1.0 on Dell Vostro 460.  With all your helps, I did the following:

1. disable the on board NIC

2. add Intel Gigabits CT NIC

3. install ESXi - Work perfectly Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wgillick
Contributor
Contributor

tommym121 wrote:

I have been successfully install ESXi 4.1.0 on Dell Vostro 460.  With all your helps, I did the following:

1. disable the on board NIC

2. add Intel Gigabits CT NIC

3. install ESXi - Work perfectly Smiley Happy

Tommy, thanks for following up and giving us a success story. I have been seeking compatibility information on Sandy Bridge processors like the i7-2600 and E3-1235, but there is not much information out there.

Good luck, and if you decide to try vMotion or any other fancy ESXi features, please give us an update. (I really want to know if Sandy Bridge works with vMotion and FT)

Regards,

Will Gillick

San Jose, CA

0 Kudos