VMware Cloud Community
paaland
Contributor
Contributor

Initializing scheduler -> shutdown

Some time during the night my long running esxi 5.0 installation had shutdown. I tried the power button, but nothing happens. So I unplug power, wait a few seconds and try again. This time the mobo powers up and esxi starts to load, but on "Initializing scheduler" it just shuts down and the mobo does not respond to the power button anymore (not even if held in for a long time). Only unplugging the power will wake it up.

Ok, probably a bad memory chip so I ran memchk86, but it found no problems. So I insert the esxi 5.0 cd that I used to install with initially, but it too shutsdown when it comes to "Initializing scheduler".

So I assume this might be a hardware problem, but which component could it be? Any pointers on how to check for logs on a unbootable system is welcome.

Server is DIY with off the shelf components (AMD processor and ASUS mobo).

Update: Tried the esxi 5.1 boot cd as well, also shutdown at initializing scheduler Smiley Sad

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

When you are booting the server , press Alt + f12 on the console for live Kernel logs.

Try to analyze through the logs , if you are finding difficulties then take a screenshot and post here

Karthic.
vRNI TPM
0 Kudos
paaland
Contributor
Contributor

I removed the disks and inserted them into another machine. I manage too boot up esxi and my goal was to copy the vm's onto another disk.

But when entering the console (CTRL+ALT+F1) and logging in as root the /vmfs/volumes folder is empty. How can I mount the vm's?

0 Kudos
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please check if the device is detected.

esxcfg-scsidevs -c .

If your storage device is detected, then type .

fdisk -l /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.idxxxxx

Check if you are seeing the partition. Check this link http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002281

Karthic.
vRNI TPM
0 Kudos