ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Infrastructure upgrade

Posted Aug 02, 2011 04:38 PM

Hi to all and sorry for my english,

I manage about 12VM in a cluster with:

2 x Host Esx 4.1.0.260247 on HP DL380G5 (single cpu and 16GB of RAM for any host)

1 x QNAP TS-459U

Both Esx use QNAP NFS share as shared storage.

All work fine but

• Some time vm user (terminal services) report some "tears" of some seconds. Terminal session "freeze" for some second and then restart. Different time in a day. Users in session in different VM report some issue.

• Snapshot usage for some VM is impracticable. If i delete a shapshot all VM in same node become unusable utill delete operation is completed.

I not have any alarm or performance issue (or i look in a wrong place! :smileyconfused:)

Can someone give me some suggestions?

How i can understand "who" is in overload? If this is an overload!

We would upgrade NAS section with new and more performance NAS and we think to QNAP TS-809U to use with iSCSI instead of NFS.

Is this a good point of start?

I can view "differences" whit this new NAS?

Other NAS (in same cost range of TS-809U) can give me best results?

I hope to be clear.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Regards.

Massimo.

• 2.  RE: Infrastructure upgrade

Posted Aug 02, 2011 09:32 PM

I suspect that you are overloading your storage array's performance capacity.

How is the QNAP configured?  Drives? RPM?  RAID?

If its a 4 disk array in RAID 5, its very likely that you're simply asking too much of it.

Check your Physical Disk Response times (in the performance charts or esxtop).

• 3.  RE: Infrastructure upgrade

Posted Aug 03, 2011 06:22 AM

Hi mcowger and thanks for your response.

Qnap have:

3 x WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B01.0 (SATA 3 Gb/s, 3.5 Inch, 7200rpm, 64 MB,2 TB)

configured in RAID 5 EXT 4

From: Host -> Performance ->Overview i retrieve attached shot.

I hope I have looked at the place where you asked me.

If your response is correct, you think that upgrading to new QNAP model would have positive impact on performance? Or i need to act in other way?

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Infrastructure upgrade

Posted Aug 03, 2011 04:27 PM

You are asking 3 (really 2 because of the Raid 5) drives to do the work of at least 12 :smileyhappy:.

A new QNAP wont help - more drives and faster drives are what you need.  For your workloads, I'd suggest that a array supporting more like 12 drives would be a better choice.  Something along the lines of the HP P2000 or EMC VNXe.

(disclaimer, I work for EMC).

• 5.  RE: Infrastructure upgrade

Posted Aug 04, 2011 04:17 PM

Hi mcowger,

i newer see my issue from this point of view... :smileyconfused:

Storage that you have suggested (thanks for clarification about your rule in EMC) are very expensive compared with TS-809U (for obvious reasons)...

Therefore, if i understand fine, if i upgrade to a new storgare with 8,16 or 24 bay i need to "spread" space in more and more disk.

For instance i can install 14 disks of 500GB configured in RAID 5 (or RAID 6) to improve substantially response and performance. Is this correct? Can you help me on a good choice for hdd type?

Thanks another time.

Regards.

Massimo.

• 6.  RE: Infrastructure upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 04, 2011 04:22 PM

Thats exactly what I'm suggesting - more drives will lessen the amount of work any given drive is being asked to perform.

Indeed those platforms are more expensive than the QNAP you are looking at, but I will suggest that you get what you pay for.  They also perform better :smileyhappy:.

Its hard to know exactly what kinds of drives you need, because you are already performance starved.  Thats also something that the larger companies offer - when you buy a P2000 or VNXe or similar, you are getting the expertise of your sales team to help select the right drive type & count.

• 7.  RE: Infrastructure upgrade

Posted Aug 04, 2011 04:30 PM

Hi mcowger,

now i have another piece for my "nas update" puzzle... :smileyhappy: and it is a good piece... :smileyhappy:

Very thanks for your help.

Regards.

Massimo.