VMware Cloud Community
GregAndo
Contributor
Contributor

Info: Creating Datastore Fails

Hi All,

First post, just an informational message to those who experience the same issue as I, and possibly a prompt fom VMware for a better error message and / or UI improvements when creating new volumes...

Upon trying to create and format a large volume, I was getting the following error:

An error occurred during the host configuration.

See the error stack for details on the cause of this problem.

Error Stack:

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateVmfsDatastore" for object "datastoreSystem-1508" on vCenter Server "SERVERNAME" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report: Unable to create Filesystem, please see VMkernel log for more details.
The vmkernel log contained much of the following:
WARNING: ScsiCore: 1399: Invalid sense buffer: (blah blah)
As well as similar things to the following:
No FS driver claimed device
Could not open device

In my case I was using EqualLogic for my SAN environment, and was provisioning a 2TB volume.  Upon attempting to create a vmfs datastore on the volume, I would get the errors above.

Whilst I am aware that the maximum vmfs volume size is 2TB (and hence the reson I created it) I later realised that the size of the volume created by the EqualLogic interface (when creating a 2TB volume) is actually 2048.01GB, or essentially 10MB larger than 2TB.  Herein, the problem lies.

When I attempted to recreate the vmfs datastore at a "Custom space setting" of 2048.00GB instead of the "Maximum available space" of 2048.01GB, the volume is created without error.

Why this isn't first prevented by the interface, or a clearer error message is not displayed, I will never know.  Here is hoping this is updated to be more robust in the future.

I scoured my iSCSI network for some time for misconfigured Jumbo Frames, assuming there were was something I was overlooking.  I tried different machines with the same result, as well as different block sizes.

The LUN was just 10MB too big in the end.

Hope this helps someone, I was on a witch hunt based on other similar posts here, where were not related in the end.

- Greg

Message was edited by: GregAndo - Grammar

0 Kudos
1 Reply
GregAndo
Contributor
Contributor

Answered in original post.

0 Kudos