VMware Cloud Community
Guv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Independent disks and RDM's

Can i please get an explanantion on independent disks and raw drive mappings.

I want to know what are independent disks and whats the different between persistent and non-persistent and in which situation they are useful and not useful.

Also I want an understanding of the Raw disks , as well in what the advantages are, the types and when they would be useful as well.

I just want an understanding on these terms.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Independent disk are disks whioch are not affected by a snapshot.

Persistent disk behave like physical ones, what gets written is written to the disk permanentely. The disk operates normally except that changes to the disk are permanent even if the virtual machine is reverted to a snapshot.

The disk appears to operate normally, but whenever the virtual machine is powered off or reverted to a snapshot, the contents of the disk return to their original state. All later changes are discarded.

A raw disk is a a disk presented to a virtual guest bit which is not hold in a container file on a VMFS datastore but which uses a guest OS native partition on a shared storage volume. To make that partition usable to a guest a small file is needed, which holds information about that raw disk and points the guest to the right location. These disks can be used by virtual and physical servers.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos