VMware Cloud Community
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Independant disk cloning

I have a VM that has independent/persistent disk attached to it. Need to clone this VM and I realized that I can't unless I shut down the VM and disable the independant option. Any other method I can use to clone this VM?

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I use Independent disks in some situations for a local backup (hourly SQL dumps). The disk is on a different storage volume and I don't need / want to back it up.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try VMware Standalone Converter. Install directly on the VM.

DuncanArmstrong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

DSTAVERT is correct; you may have to do this via the guest and avoid VMDK-level cloning. I don't see other options, unfortunately.

Converter allows live conversion from within the guest in most cases (treat it like a P2V), but be aware of any potential differences between the destination copy and your original. I believe the destination is only as current as the immediate moment you start the cloning process, but someone can feel free to correct me.

max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The independant disk was selected before me. Can someone give me and examples why you would use this mode?

what real benefit does it have?

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Usually, you add the Independant disk if you don't care to snapshot those disks at all. OR if you want to make the disk non-persistant so when you shut off the VM it will loose any change that you make to it.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I use Independent disks in some situations for a local backup (hourly SQL dumps). The disk is on a different storage volume and I don't need / want to back it up.

0 Kudos