VMware Cloud Community
AGDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Incredibly stubborn vm won't power down

Hi Everyone,

I have a VM that I cannot shutdown. It's causing "Update child resource configuration" tasks every second on the host it resides on.

I have tried to shut it down from the GUI - no luck

I have tried to shut it down from the command line with:

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/vm.vmx stop hard
vim.fault.InvalidPowerState: The attempted operation cannot be performed in the current state (Powered On).

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/vm.vmx get state returns getstate() = on
and:
vm-support -x
VMware ESX Support Script 1.30
Couldn't find any running VMs
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks,
David

0 Kudos
6 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert

There's this KB that can help you in powering off an unresponsive VM

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100434...

I once succesfully used the method mentioned at the bottom of the article after failing with all other methods.

0 Kudos
AGDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ive tried everything in that KB article with no luck Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Have you tried migrating it to a different host and attempting to power it off?

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
AGDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Doing that presents me with a "invalid state" error message.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

Probably worth checking the logs to see if there are any clues, the host logs where the VM is running and the vmware.log file for the VM itself. Let us know  what you see in there.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
AGDave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I eventually deleted the VM files (nothing was locking them) and restarted the management services on the host it was assigned to and it changed the status to orphaned. I was then able to remove it from the inventory from the vsphere gui. Therefore all is well Smiley Happy

Thanks guys

0 Kudos