VMware Cloud Community
MCEnforcer
Contributor
Contributor

Increasing size of VMFS volume

I think I have just been a t**t.

I have a mixture of ESX 4.0 U1 and ESXi 3.5 servers running of an iSCSI SAN (Dell Equallogic). Most of my VMs are installed on four 1 TB LUNS.

Just as a test I decided to increase the size of one of the LUNS to 1.5 TB and then using vCentre 4 expanded the VMFS partition to fill the extra space. This all worked fine.

However ... I just did a "Scan for new VMFS Volumes" on one of the ESXi 3.5 servers and it can no longer see the expanded volumes. It still sees the LUN but the volume doesn't apear in any browse lists. Interestingly the VMs installed on this volume are still operational although they can't be migrated.

I also noticed that the other ESXi 3.5 machines still see the volume but recognise it as only 1 TB. The ESX 4.0 U1 machines see it as 1.5 TB. I won't be doing a storage scan on these any time soon ...

Does ESXi 3.5 have a limit on the maximum size of the volume or have I converted it into a format that is no longer fully recognisble by ESXi 3.5.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Duplicate post -

Message was edited by: weinstein5

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - ESX 3.5 like ESX 4 has a 2 TB limit for VMFS datastore however the issue is ESX 3.5 can not use a VMFS datastore that has been increased - this is only a feature of ESX 4.0

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful