VMware Cloud Community
XTREM1337
Contributor
Contributor

Increasing a Datastore

We have a ESX 4.1 U1 and we should increase our Datastore to the maximum size, 2TB. Presently, the Datastore has 1.46T.

So I should create a LUN but I dont know the size and adding it to the Datatore to have the maximum size, near 2TB

How I could know the size of this new LUN ?  2TB - 1.46 ?

See the screenshot

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No need to work with extents anymore in ESX 4.0 and above. You can easily grow the exiting LUN to the maximum supported size of 2 TB minus 512 Bytes. All you have to do is to resize the LUN on your storage system and then use the Add Storage wizard to grow the datastore.

Caution: You have to be careful with the storage though. Make sure the LUN size stays below the maximum, otherwise it may not be usable! As a best practice, configure e.g. 1.98 TB instead of 2 TB.

André

PS: Assuming your storage system allows resizing the LUNs!

tiagomartinez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2 TB     =  2048 GB

1.46 TB  = 1495,04 GB

2048 - 1495,04 = 552,96GB

If you create the new LUN with 552,96 GB the datastore new size will have exactly 2TB. I had some problems when created 2048GB LUNs, so i recomend you to create the new LUN with 504,96 GB (2000 -1495,05), this way your datastore will have 1,95TB.

Blog: http://vmwarebrasil.blogspot.com Consider awarding points for helpful or correct answers!
XTREM1337
Contributor
Contributor

PS: Assuming your storage system allows resizing the LUNs!

Yes it is, I'm using MetaLUN (SAN EMC AX4-5)

0 Kudos