VMware Cloud Community
Checkout2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Increasing VMDK files ESXi 4...

How can i increase un VMDK disk in to a bigger one. I have to install software on one of the VMDK disk but the disk is not big enough and the system hangs when i try to install the application. Is there a way to do that with vSPhere??

The error message from whitin vSphere is: insufficient disk space on datastore. And the machine is not starting anymore. I know on witch vmdk file it is.

Please if anyone has an idea...let me know...Eric

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
krishna_v78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

As per your error message "The error message from whitin vSphere is: insufficient disk space on datastore ",  could be datastore is full

1. As suggested by other experts, please look for snapshots

2. If snapshots are not occupying space, then go for datastore expansion. Incase, if datastore expansion is not possible, then.

a. configure VM for memory reservation, so that .vswp(space equivalent to memory) is not created on datastore.

b. make system drive or any other drives on same datastore as think provison, which doesn't require much space

Regards,

Balu.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
nsolop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you tried to power off the VM and then edit the settings of the disk?.

Regards/Saludos

Por favor no olvides calificar las respuestas que te resultaron de ayuda o fueron correctas

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

VMware vExpert 2010 - VCP 410- VCP 310 - VAC - VTSP

My company Blog (Wetcom Group Blog)

Follow me on Twitter

My Linkedin Profile

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you'll need to increase it in the VM configuration in vSphere Client.

R-click on the VM, Go to 'Edit Settings'. On the Hardware Tab go to the virtual hard disk that doesn't have enough space and increase the provisioned size there. Of course, the VM needs to be off for this to take effect and, depending on the OS, you may need to go through extra steps to get the VM to recognize the extra space. For Windows server 2008 all you need to do is extend the drive in disk management.

For earlier Windows OS's you'll need to use 3rd party software after you have provisioned more space in vSphere. My favorite (and easiest, IMO) is G-parted. Boot the VM from the G-parted disk and in a few clicks you've extended the partition. If G-parted was successful, once you reboot into the OS it will automatically recognize the extra space.

I'm assuming that it's just the provisioned space for that particular VM that has run out. If you're ESXi datastore has run out of space that's an entirely different problem. If you have multiple datastores you could move the VM. If not, I think you can try and shrink the virtual disks for other VM's and give that space to the one running out. I don't have any experience in shrinking volumes using the VM Tools though. Maybe someone else can offer some more insight on that...

0 Kudos
Checkout2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hay  Nicolás Solop,

I have tried to do that but it didn't work. I cannot change the settings of the disks.

Eric

0 Kudos
Checkout2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hay Alceryes

'

I have tryed that but i cannot change the provisioned size of that disk. One other disk i can, but it's not the one i need to increase. I am using windows server 2003 Enterprise with windows SQL 2008 server Enterprise. I am trying to restore a 50Gb database into that SQL Server.i have a 130Gb disk with no other data on it. But every time it hangs on the amount of the disks. It say's it's not enough.

Hopefully you can help me out.

With kind regards,

Eric

The Netherlands

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is the place where you can increase the virtual disk size grayed out? Do you have the extra space on the ESXi datastore?

Do you have any snapshots of the VM? You can't extend a virtual disk if the VM has snapshots.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Snapshot may block the increase... You have to delete all before.

Also, if you have IDE disks for vmdk, then there is no way to increase them.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
krishna_v78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

As per your error message "The error message from whitin vSphere is: insufficient disk space on datastore ",  could be datastore is full

1. As suggested by other experts, please look for snapshots

2. If snapshots are not occupying space, then go for datastore expansion. Incase, if datastore expansion is not possible, then.

a. configure VM for memory reservation, so that .vswp(space equivalent to memory) is not created on datastore.

b. make system drive or any other drives on same datastore as think provison, which doesn't require much space

Regards,

Balu.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please attach the latest vmware.log file from the VM's folder in the datastore. This will show all information needed to find out why the virtual disk cannot be resized. In addition to this tell us how much free disk space you have on the datastore.

André

0 Kudos
Checkout2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Balu,

I'am now trying to remove all snapshots. Then i will try to see of the option to resize the correct VMDK file is availeble. I get beck to when it is done.

Thanks in advance..

Eric

0 Kudos
Checkout2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Balu,

I have removed all the the snapshot and it resolved the problem of resizing the disks. And i can power on the virtual machine again.

After that i have increast the disk that i wanted with 18Gb. Total disk space 150Gb and the free space is now 83Gb.

Now i am trying to import the database in SQL2008.

I let you now if it will work.

Thanks in advance..

Eric

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Good work - once your problem is resolved, please mark the thread as 'answered' - the helps other people searching  the community for answers to identify threads with solutions.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
Checkout2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello all,

The solution was to delete any snapshot files, after that i was able to increase the size of the disk that was needed. In the Windows 2003 Server system the noly thing a had to do extra was to increase the disk with the command : "Extend".

Now i am able to restore the database in SQL2008 with enough space on the disk.

Thanks for all youre help.

Eric

The Netherlands

0 Kudos
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please mark the correct post as correct answer, it helps others to find the correct answer.

0 Kudos
Checkout2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hay,

I did mark the correct answer. I hope i did it the right way. If not then let me know.

Greetings Eric

The Netherlands

0 Kudos