VMware Cloud Community
mleszek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Increasing VM hard disk capacity

Hello

I use ESX 4.0 with vSphere 4.0.

When there won't be any snapshots anymore I'd like to increase VM's hard disk capacity in Edit Settings/Hard disk menu. There is MS Windows Srv 2008 R2 64-bit installed.

Is it the right way to do this? Won't operating system have any problems with this increased disk? Will main partition automatically be increased also or do I have to do it myself later?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There shouldn't be any issues with the guest OS when you increase the virtual disk size. After increasing the size in the VM's settings you need to resize the NTFS partition in the Windows 2008 VM's disk management.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There shouldn't be any issues with the guest OS when you increase the virtual disk size. After increasing the size in the VM's settings you need to resize the NTFS partition in the Windows 2008 VM's disk management.

André

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Is it the right way to do this?

Yes

Won't operating system have any problems with this increased disk? 

No

Will main partition automatically be increased also or do I have to do it myself later?

No. The newly added size will be displayed as Unallocated space in the disk management. If it's not showing, You need to rescan the disk.

As it's windows 2008, Right click the drive - You want to expand and provide the space it's demanding. Everything will be fine.

No reboot required, No third party tools required in Windows 2008

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful