VMware Cloud Community
BPMalan
Contributor
Contributor

Increasing Guest HDD

I'm running ESX 4.0, my host has a 1TB drive and i plan on running 4 virtual servers from it.

Today I created a WIndows 2003 Enterprise server on it with disk space of 10 GB. I know this is small but it's reall just a test server I'm using for now until i convert my live physical servers to virtual ones.

The problem i'm having is I want the VMs i have to use the free space on the host if it needs it instead of just assigning a large chunk of space. that way the servers that expand more rapadly will get the space they need. is there any way of doing that? the reason i ask is some of the server I'll be building from scratch as virtual and others I'll be converting.

cheers

alan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

you can use the feature thin provisioning for your disk. Thats usefull for that what you want.

You can allocate 30 GB of space but its only using the space thats needed.

But keep in mind that you check space overcommitment.

Maybe this paper could be helpful for you.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_4_thinprov_perf.pdf

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You can choose to use a thin provisioned disk. You set the maximum size, 500 GB for example, but it uses only the amount of space which is actually needed. If you delete files on the virtual disk it won't shrink automatically. So it is needed to shrink/compact it from time to time if you want to free space on your datastore.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
BPMalan
Contributor
Contributor

can you convert to thin provisioning after you've built teh server or would i need to start again whichwouldn't be a huge problem because it's one server,

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Yes,

look at this

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-10854

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".