VMware Cloud Community
pefu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Increase vmdk file

Hello All

I have one storage with some VMs. I have free spaces in this storage and I would like increace one VM with win2008, but I don't know how? I have standard ESX4 and I haven't vCenter.

Thanks

Przemek

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexNG_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Agree with Altix,

Just a but... In older vCenter versions you cannot modify HD size, so you should do this through ESX console, the command is:

vmkfstools -X new_size path_to_vmdk

Take a look at the help of this command for more detailed parameters...

After that, use diskpart (in windows) is your best option. Other good options: gparted (linux) .

AlexNG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" / "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can

a) Add another Virtual Disk to your VM and mount it as D:\ or

b) Increse the virtual disk, you already have.

If you increse the old disk, you need to resize it in the guest OS as well. Option a) is easier and safer Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
pefu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, in this case I would increase my VM, but How will I make it? In my vclient I haven't option increase only vmdk files? I don't want increase my storage, where are more VMs.

Thanks

Przemek

0 Kudos
Joshua_Mally
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you dont need vCenter server to expand you datastores. This is what you need to do.

Connect to the ESX server using VI client

Go to the configuration tab

select storage adaptors...click rescan.

now go to storage... select the datastore you want to expand.

right click on the datastore and go to properties.

Click on the Increase button. This will show the extended storage size. go next next.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

-Josh

Trying to learn Smiley Happy

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! -Josh Trying to learn 🙂
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Use the VI Client to select "Edit Settings" from your entire VM and choose the existing Harddisk. Increase the Size to the new value.

After that log into the VM Guest OS and open the disk manager and perfrom a rescan. Take notice the unused diskspace on the Disk and expand the existing volume.

All these steps can made wihle the VM is still up and running. The W2k8 have a entry in the GUI for increasing the existing volume and for older Windows you have to use the "diskpart" commandline utility.

From my brain:

diskpart

> list disk

> select disk <ID>

> list volume

> select volume <ID>

> expand volume

> exit

Keep in mind that older Windows versions doesnt supporting the increase of the boot volume. You need a special diskpart.exe or better mount this VMDK in a helper VM as 2nd Disk.

Regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'

ConstantinV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Or you can to use some iSCSI solution, for this you can perfectly use Starwind Free

StarWind Software Developer

VCP 4/5, VCAP-DCD 5, VCAP-DCA 5, VCAP-CIA 5, vExpert 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
0 Kudos
AlexNG_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Agree with Altix,

Just a but... In older vCenter versions you cannot modify HD size, so you should do this through ESX console, the command is:

vmkfstools -X new_size path_to_vmdk

Take a look at the help of this command for more detailed parameters...

After that, use diskpart (in windows) is your best option. Other good options: gparted (linux) .

AlexNG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" / "helpful".
0 Kudos