VMware Cloud Community
CIVODUL4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Increase the partition size limit

Hi !

I have to manage an ESXI server that has been configured by someone else.

I got 8 VM on the server.

I want to increase the size of the partition the file server has from100GB to 1TB . Unfortunatelly the server has been configured with 1M blocks under vmfs3 ( defaut installation )  so i can only increase partitions to the the limit of 256GB.

Is there a way to convert the block size ? Or do i have to reformat the entire disk with VMFS-3 and block of 4M to reach my goal ?

Thanks to all who red my problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

There's no option to convert the block size other than reformatting the volume. However, since you are posting in the ESXi5 forum, I assume you are running ESXi5 which allows to upgrade the datastore to VMFS5, which allows file sizes up to ~2TB with a unified 1MB block size. Before you upgrade the file system, ensure there's no need anymore to access it by an older host!

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

There's no option to convert the block size other than reformatting the volume. However, since you are posting in the ESXi5 forum, I assume you are running ESXi5 which allows to upgrade the datastore to VMFS5, which allows file sizes up to ~2TB with a unified 1MB block size. Before you upgrade the file system, ensure there's no need anymore to access it by an older host!

André

0 Kudos