VMware Cloud Community
OMCPD
Contributor
Contributor

Incorrect size in Datastore Browser after 5.1 update

Hello,

I have a strange behavior after updating from 4.1 to 5.1. Everything works OK but Datastore browser.

When I navegating to a VM dir, virtual disk files are displayed as thin provisioning... even being thick provisioning.

In this "false" thin provisioning, the full size is correct, and the occupied size is "real size / 1024", it's like displaying in GB instead of MB.

If I connect from Vsphere client to a ESX (without VCenter) the problem persist.

Anybody has any ideas? I have searched but it seems to be the only case reported...

Regards,

OM-CPD.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Loc2262
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, so it's unrelated to the version 1 or 3. Version 3 seems to work fine on my older ESXi 5.0 installations though. At least the VMDK file says "version 3", maybe that entry is not taken into account or so.

Yeah I agree, this looks like a bug in the vSphere client and/or ESXi, considering several users reported it in a number of different constellations. And considering I'm experiencing it on a fresh install of ESXi 5.0 U3 and a freshly created VM, it seems to be a generic bug unrelated to upgrades.

If this affects only the way the thick VMDK files are displayed in the datastore browser, I suppose it's merely cosmetic. My aforementioned ESXi 5.0 U3 installation is now running for about a month with about 5 VMs that show the described behavior, it there seem to be no datastore related issues otherwise.

Of course it'd be interesting to know what causes this behavior.

0 Kudos
sebek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think vmdk version is unrelated and has no significant impact now.

You can always rise support reqest to have confirmation from vendor's site.

0 Kudos
nbstech
Contributor
Contributor

We are also experiencing this issue. Did anyone get it resolved or confirmed as a bug? We are running ESXi 5.1.0

0 Kudos
sexconker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also noticed this issue.  All the sizes for thick disks are off by a factor of 1024 in the Datastore Browser.  Haven't noticed any problems, though.

0 Kudos
Mnemonic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same issue on a updated 5.5 hosts.

The disks that differ are disks copied with vCO's copyVirtualDisk_Task - VMware vSphere API Reference

The reason I am a little cautious is that this task i labeled: Experimental. Subject to change.

Should I be worried?

Did anyone experience problems with this odd behavior?

0 Kudos