VMware Cloud Community
Mundi01
Contributor
Contributor

Incorrect datastore size reported

HI,

We have a couple of ESXi 5.1 hosts and using vSphere client 5.1. There are several datastores all hosted by a Dell Compellent SAN.

The admin before me, didn't have any sort of alarms or alerts setup and as a result, one datastore filled up and several servers crashed and burned. Anyway since then i turned on the alarms but i started to notice that the usage being reported through vsphere client (connected to vcenter server) was incorrect.

For example, i have a datastore which is 300gb in size and it should have about 80gb free.

It does show this if i go to the datastore, click summary, and i can see:

Capacity: 299

Provisioned: 232

Free: 80

Now if i click refresh, it will change the values to

Capacity: 249

Provisioned: 232

Free: 30

An this causes an alarm to trigger.

So i connect my client to the host directly, and i rescan the storage adapters, then without doing anything else, the capacity will change back to the original (80gb free). Excellent! problem fixed! no... from time to time, an alert will trigger again telling me im running out of room on this datastore, but when i check, its all fine, still 80gb free, no issues...I click refresh and sure enough, capacity changes. I repeat the above steps to clear the alarm and rinse and repeat!

So i have seen some other people having similar issues to me, but they were using esx 4.0 and their resolution was to upgrade to 5.0.

Any ideas what i can do would be very much welcome.

Ps, this is happening on a few datastores, not just the same one.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mundi01
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone?

0 Kudos