VMware Cloud Community
taz722
Contributor
Contributor

In case of IT budget cuts, how suscceptible are Virtualization projects ?

Hi Guys,

During the last recession, even as other projects bore the brunt of IT budget cuts, virtualization related projects were relatively safe. But, back then the average penetration was pretty low and most of the apps that were being virtualized back then were lightweight low priority dev/qa workloads. Now, that enterprises are virtualizing bigger workloads that require more resources in terms of server size etc, do you guys think that virtualization projects will feel more of a negative impact compared to the last recesssion. What are you guys thinking in your respective enterprises ? Also, with almost half the workloads virtualized today, I guess the low hanging fruit has already been picked and enterprises would probably delay their virtualization projects if budgets shrink. Thoughts ??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

taz722 wrote:

Hi Guys,

During the last recession, even as other projects bore the brunt of IT budget cuts, virtualization related projects were relatively safe. But, back then the average penetration was pretty low and most of the apps that were being virtualized back then were lightweight low priority dev/qa workloads. Now, that enterprises are virtualizing bigger workloads that require more resources in terms of server size etc, do you guys think that virtualization projects will feel more of a negative impact compared to the last recesssion. What are you guys thinking in your respective enterprises ? Also, with almost half the workloads virtualized today, I guess the low hanging fruit has already been picked and enterprises would probably delay their virtualization projects if budgets shrink. Thoughts ??

Thanks.

v5  licensing is going to impact our decisions the most, even rolling around in cash I we can't afford to set it on fire.

Other than that, it's cheaper than physical, so virtualization is going to happen no matter what, it's just what is going to be used.

0 Kudos