VMware Cloud Community
itzikr2
Contributor
Contributor

In-Guest UNMAP, doesn't work with windows server 2019 or windows 10 1809 / 1903

Using VMware vSphere 6.7 U2

Windows server 2019

VM is configured as 'thin'

when you try to run the built-in defrag which supposed to run the UNAMP (Trim) command, it comes with an error, it's not supported, works fine when the guest OS is windows server 2016

anyone has seen this issue??

0 Kudos
7 Replies
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Welcome to VMTN. 🙂

Is the windows 2016 VM settings and configuration (storage controller, HW version, VMTools etc.) in any way different than the windows 2019 VM ?

Please post the error screenshot from windows 2019 vm.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
itzikr2
Contributor
Contributor

they are the same setting, i even tried to upgrade an existing windows server 2016 to 2019 ..Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try this if you haven't:

Fix "Optimization Not Available" in Optimize Drives in Windows

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
compwizpro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What error do you receive specifically?  Have you tried running "Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter C: -ReTrim -Verbose" for the C: drive for example?

It should give you a more specific error as well.

0 Kudos
SayNo2HyperV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Seeing same thing in ESXi7 with Server 2019.  Made post little while ago but crickets. 

Re: ESXi7 / Server 2019 Guest Unmap

Did you ever find out what's up with 2019 and auto guest unmap?

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

IMHO Windows does exactly what it should do: prevent that a user tries to defragment a drive when this drive is thin provisioned.

0 Kudos
SayNo2HyperV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I keep seeing this comment everywhere researching this issue and shake my head,  Not defrag - Unmap.

They are not the same thing - Silly Microsoft for putting completely different functions in same app.  Defrag and "optimize"

TRIM / Unmap.  Automatic in guest unmap.  My vmdk white space should take care of itself.  I should need white 0s to white space, power off VM, and do a punch Zero.  Works perfect in 2016 - not in 2019.  Windows is not doing what it suppose to do.  Although it is a dance between Vmware + Microsoft to take guest unmap commands and shrink the vmdk.  Not sure where issue lies - Vmware or Microsoft.

These commands have nothing to do with defrag and everything to do with TRIM / Unmap being enabled.

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify NTFS 0

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify ReFS 0

These commands + 2019 + VMFS6 + VMware Tools should enable unmap.  Doesn't work.  A punch Zero I did on a 2019 vmdk that shrunk ~600GB confirms this.  Or if Automatic unmap doesn't work then this command should shrink vmdk.  Also doesn't work.  Something up with 2019.

Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter H -ReTrim -Verbose

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2989510#2989510

0 Kudos