VMware Cloud Community
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Impossible to deploy OVF on ESXI 8

Hi!

I try to deploy an OVF on my ESXi 8.0. Connecting directly on ESXi host and trying to deploy the OVF file, it fails with error

Failed to deploy VM: postNFCData failed: Not Found

Trying to deploy my ovf with vCenter, it fails with error

Failed to deploy OVF package. Cause: A general system error occurred: Transfer failed: IO error during transfer: java.io.EOFException.

So I'm completely unable to deploy an OVF file. What is the problem? Is there another way to do that?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried OVF Tool? https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1038709

0 Kudos
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With OVF Tool, it seems to work but fails after 10 minutes with

Transfer Failed
Error: Failed to transfer file [disk-0.vmdk] to host [myhost.domain.local] (response code:500)

I've also found another workaround: I setup a web server on my PC (simple-http-server for instance), then when deploying the OVF file, I use from "URL" and provide OVF, it works that way.

But still, it's strange to not be able to use the upload function... It's may be connected with my other issue where you are also advising (thanks!)

Will try to reinstall using Dell Image and let you know.

Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, now that I'm using Dell Customized version of VMware ESXi, the problem is the same and my workaround using an HTTP server to provide ovf through an url isn't working anymore... It finish with:

Failed to deploy OVF package. Cause: A general system error occurred: Transfer failed: Invalid response code: 500. 

I'm gonna be crazy...😫

0 Kudos
Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Even if I'm still not able to upload big files using vCeter or ESXi web interface, todayI've been able to deploy my ovf files.

Here is what I've done:

- Apply my Essential licence (previously, I was using the evaluation licence). It should'nt have impact, but I prefer mention that just in case.

- I have regenerated my OVF files from the VM currently running on my ESXi 6.7. Previoulsy, these VM have been exported enabling advanced options ( Include BIOS UUID, Include MAC addresses, Include extra configuration). This time, I've just exported them without advanced option.

So it seems my problem was not on the ESXi 8.0, but probably on my OVF files.

Thank you all for your help. Also, I didn't had the opportunity to test this solution but thansk to @crmercado to propose a solution allowing to deploy an OVF file stored locally on the ESXi host:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/ESXi-8-0-File-upload-fails-without-any-error/m-p/...

Cyanatide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is a quick update:

In fact I have noticed that the problem denpends on my Client PC (from which I deploy OVF).

OVF deployment is very uncertain when using my Dell XPS, but works every time when I use another server ( Dell Poweredge T410). I will try to check driver on my XPS.