VMware Cloud Community
albeda1
Contributor
Contributor

Impossible to GET DHCP IP adress with unix, works with Win7

I'm facing a very strange  situation here.

Let my try to explain my setup.

Y have 2 working fisical NICS installed and working in ESXi 4.1   (I have 4 in total, but 2 unused yet)

One of the NIC (vmnic0)  is plugged to mi LAN switch. The other one (vmnic2), to my Cablemodem.

2.png

Here my Vswitch configuration (the only machine working in the Vswitch plugged to the CABLEMODEM is TelAviv - Pfsense)

1.png

Here the network adapter config.

3.png

4.png

5.png

Well, no way... Its impossible to get the IPADDRESS from the ISP I tried several Freebsd distros, Pfsense, monowall, and linux also.. Centos and debian. (of course, each time, only adding the correct network interfase to the running virtual machine and rebooting the cablemodem before to start the VM)

Tried also cloning MAC address... (from phisical interfase and virtual one...) nope... nothing...

BUT... here the strange thing.. Adding a new NIC to my Windows Seven install, connected to the Cablemodem Vswitch...and Voila ! Everithing starts to works, and the Windows NIC gets the Internet IP address with no clues... (and without booting nothing!!!)

Back again, connecting everyting with the Linux/Freebsd  stuff...  nothing.. impossible..

Again with Windows.. And works rock solid!!!!

Anybody who can help me ?

I've added a Linksys router between my hypervisor and the cablemodem.. but I don't really want another piece of tech in my desk. Plug directly my cablemodem to the pfsense VM is a very nice solution to my simple home lab.

Before ESXi, the same setup where working for 2 years in Citrix XenServer and with zero problems...

I have no VTd yet, so I can't assign phisical hardware to my VMs....

Thank you

Daniel.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Looks like a strange one.

If you connect 2 linux boxes only to the LAN network can they communicate?

Have you installed VMware Tools on the Linux boxes?

Just as a test maybe try changing the vNIC from E1000 to VMXNET3.

If you connect to your router can you see the MAC address of the linux box in ARP?

0 Kudos
albeda1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

Well, everything I connect works as expected. Also I have another vswitch with a separate IP network (10.0.0.0) to communicate my VMs without needing my external switch (and to test extrange routings... remember, it's my Lab) .... Everything works !

So, for example, I have 2 linux boxes, with 2 NICs (192.x.x.x and 10.x.x.x) working well.. also I have Windows boxes in the same subnets, with 2 nics... Everything works... There are external devices in my network, like IP phones, NAS, IP Gateways, printers, Access Points... and all works, as ever!.

My PFSense box route traffic between other weird networks I´ve created to test (pfsense has 4 nics) and also run flawessly...  Everithing but the Cablemodem connection... who works perfect with Windows Seven in the same config.!!! ...

Yes, Vmware tool is installed in every vm I plug in my lab. Also in PfSense..., Win7, etc.

I already did the test trying the 3 network adapters available in Pfsense (bsd) and linux. no luck.. and with windows, works with both...

Is so strange... its only to connect the vNIC in windows to the Cablemodem connected vswitch, and Windows get the IP in a flash... 2 seconds...

If I connect to my router, yes.. I can see the MAC address of my virtual linux box or virtual pfsense interface assigned to WAN port.

Inside my Router :  (now PfSense is connected to my router, and the router is configured with a DMZ pointing to the WAN address of the pfsense firewall)

root@asia:~# arp -a
1-x-x-x.fibertel.com.ar (x.x.x.1) at 00:01:5C:24:D8:01 [ether]  on vlan2      (the Cablemodem MAC ADRESS)
? (192.168.200.2) at 00:0C:29:9A:0C:6B [ether]  on br0                            (The PFsense WAN nic, the same is assigned to the VM, the MAC adress is correct)
root@asia:~#

Thanks a lot... a very strange one... 2 days dealing with the issue...

Why with Seven works..... Why with my old Citrix Xenserver works!   .....  I'm confused, I admit...

0 Kudos