ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Importing files into vmware vsphere

Posted Nov 30, 2010 11:31 PM

Hello

I am new to VMware.

I have a couple of remote desktops machines set up in multiple locations. On these machines I have the vmware client which could connect directly to the host ESX or VMware Server. Now is there a way to copy files from these remote desktop machines into the virtual environmet. I usually download vms, plug in USB, and External Hard Drives to these remote management machines. I came across a similar question but in that scenario the External devices were being plugged directly into the VMware server or SAN.

Thanks

:smileyhappy:

I am not sure if I posted the question in the right location.

• 2.  RE: Importing files into vmware vsphere

Posted Nov 30, 2010 11:41 PM

Your question is not very clear, but you can upload and download files from a ESX datastore using the datastore browser in the management client. You just right click on a datastore and click "browse datastore". There are buttons for uploading and downloading files.

I would urge you to use caution at what you are uploading, however, as realy this should just be for VMs and removable media images for use in VMs.

If you are just trying to copy files into say a Windows VM that is running on the ESX server, then network shares or mounting a DVD is the best method.

• 3.  RE: Importing files into vmware vsphere

Posted Nov 30, 2010 11:49 PM

When I perform that task am I not restricted to what is contained inside the datastore. If I am accessing the ESX server from a remote PC running the vshper client is there way to upload the files that reside in the PC from which the client is running.

thanks

• 4.  RE: Importing files into vmware vsphere

Posted Dec 01, 2010 12:53 AM

Yes it is possible if the firewall and etc are being setup properly just like advise above. But if the VMDKs are very large in size and that the line quality is not good (latency high) it might not be feasible.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

• 5.  RE: Importing files into vmware vsphere

Posted Dec 01, 2010 05:51 AM

Other way to import files could be use VMware Converter or enable SSH access and use FastSCP.

Andre

• 6.  RE: Importing files into vmware vsphere

Posted Dec 04, 2010 01:02 AM

VCenter Converter Standalone helped.

Thanks

Below is the link to the steps I followed.

http://blog.lewan.com/2009/12/22/vmware-vsphere-using-vmware-converter-to-import-vms-or-vmdks-from-other-vmware-products/