ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Importing a VM into ESXI Server

Posted Nov 02, 2010 07:01 PM

Hello,

I am having an issue importing a VM into the ESXi Server. I uploaded the folder with the VM and then after the upload I open the folder in the datastore, click on the .vmx file, add to inventory and then when I go to power on the VM i receive an error.

Can anyone tell me what Idid wrong, actually is there a step by step guide somewhere?

Thanks,

Richard

• 2.  RE: Importing a VM into ESXI Server

Posted Nov 02, 2010 07:05 PM

I would try it again, this time use VMware Converter, it should take care of conversion and also ensure everything that makes up the VM is brought into the environment as well

What was inside this folder you imported, and where did it come from?

• 3.  RE: Importing a VM into ESXI Server

Posted Nov 02, 2010 07:09 PM

Yes this was the vmx inside of the folder that I imported. After I imported the folder I just right clicked on the .vmx and then clicked add to inventory. It showed up in the inventory view but when I went to power it on that is when I received the error.

When I use the converter would just take the folder that I have on my desktop with all the VM files and convert them to something like a VMWare Player3.0? Or how should I use the converter.

Thanks,

Richard

• 4.  RE: Importing a VM into ESXI Server
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 02, 2010 07:15 PM

for me I like to use converter, it works and takes care of everything ensuring all parts of the VM needrf are transferred into your ESX(i) environment.

Download VMware Converter, install and convert machine. Source type is VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine. Destination type will be VMware Infrastructure virtual machine.

• 5.  RE: Importing a VM into ESXI Server

Posted Nov 02, 2010 07:28 PM

Thanks a lot for all you help, i am pretty sure this will work. Where do I send the check? :smileycool:

Richard.