VMware Cloud Community
Sashi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Important factors to consider before going for Virtualization

Hello Folks,

Could someone send me the list of deciding factors to consider whether to go for virtualization of the application server..Got the steps from net, but need real time steps where its been implemented and followed.... like taking metric memory usage report etc..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You really need to monitor the app server in question to see whether it is a good candidate for virtualization. If the current physical app server is using 90 % of the CPU and memory resources of the physical hardware and you want to use that physical hardware as a virtual platform then it isn't a good idea. There aren't too many servers that don't make good candidates provided that they will be running virtualized on a current multi core multi CPU server with a decent storage subsystem.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Check out the P2V Decision Tree over at the VIOPS site.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can check out some of the capacity planning tools that will scan and monitor servers for potential virtulization.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Sashi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer.. Im looking for important deciding factors to consider for virtualiziing the server.. Yes ofsourse, we can go for tools which are available.. but basically looking key points to consider for virtualization. if my manager asks me, i would be in position to answer quickly with some key factors / points.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, just for clarification here. Are you looking for what % resources should be utilized before going to virtual, the counters used to determine if you should be virtual, or just reasons to take a machine virtual?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would just use the VMware information from http://www.vmware.com/solutions/smb/smb_home.html

The marketing message isn't that different from reality.

0 Kudos
Sashi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes.. Looking for what % resources should be utilized before going to virtual.. Say i have one important Platinum (SLA) based application which needs to be virtualized... exact factors to be consider to virtualize app server..

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know if there is a rule regarding this. vSphere 4.1 scales high so it can handle a 8 vCPU machine and 255 GB of memmory per virtual machine. If you need resources higher than that then no it isn't a good fit.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You really need to monitor the app server in question to see whether it is a good candidate for virtualization. If the current physical app server is using 90 % of the CPU and memory resources of the physical hardware and you want to use that physical hardware as a virtual platform then it isn't a good idea. There aren't too many servers that don't make good candidates provided that they will be running virtualized on a current multi core multi CPU server with a decent storage subsystem.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have a look at this as well. http://www.vmware.com/solutions/business-critical-apps/

Unless you have a very high load app today and don't plan on putting good hardware underneath it you should be fine. What is your app? How heavily loaded?

0 Kudos
Sashi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer.. These are the points im looking for...(current physical app server is using 90 % of the CPU and memory resources of the physical hardware )..

Any other points to consider like database size of the application etc ??

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The link to business critical apps should help answer other questions. What is the app? What is the hardware it is running on?

0 Kudos