VMware Cloud Community
aboh
Contributor
Contributor

Import grayed out in vCenter

Hello,

I downloaded the 60-day trial of vSphere for SMB and have installed it on our Dell PowerEdge 2900iii server. I have quite a bit of experience using VMware without vCenter. The new hypervisor works great, I patched the host, and have 5 VMs running on it... No problems connecting to the host and working with it in vClient.

To move towards a vCenter environment, I created a new WinXP VM with plenty of resources and installed all the management software in the order presented by the installer. When I launch vClient and access vCenter I have encountered two problems: (1) My host disconnects after about one minute. This issue is listed in a separate thread. (2) Right clicking the host (when connected), the import item is unavailable and grayed out. The second issue is what I am trying to resolve in this thread.

I have installed all the software in the installer and in the order presented by the installer. I had enabled the Update Manager and Converter plug-ins in vCenter. However, I cannot get the import to become available, which makes it difficult to evaluate Converter's functionality. I have tried to reinstall everything, but to no avail. I have tried reinstalling vCenter, but to no avail (agent was selected to be installed). I have scoured the Internet and have exhausted myself not being able to resolve this issue. It seems like a common issue, but when I read other people's accounts, they have different twists. My situation is really straight forward and seemingly simple. Our environment has a single host, gigabit connected, everything current and working well. I'd appreciate your help figuring out this issue so I can determine whether we should buy the upgrade.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
0 Replies