VMware Cloud Community
gkpyeung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import a VM7 to VM8 hard disk failure ??

Hi,

Our VM Esxi server is running 5.0.0 and the client exported their VM (V4.x) with around 60GB VMDK file. I tried to import it and it said HDD error  re the attached. I already choose MOVE when i import the VM

Any chance to make it work ??

Thans in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Najd
Contributor
Contributor

Check this KB about corrupted VMDK files maybe it can help u fix it .

VMware KB: Recreating a missing virtual machine disk (VMDK) descriptor file

Best regards

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
your screenshots are not helpful - they show nothing that is related to the problem.
Please at least post the exact error message

0 Kudos
gkpyeung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.

Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, '/vmfs/volumes/5046fddd-ce76eff8-7714-842b2b7353cc/GeODin8/hubertus/hubertus.vmdk'

Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7.  Ensure that the disk has been imported.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you have not imported the vmdk - sounds like it is in Workstation format

run
vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/5046fddd-ce76eff8-7714-842b2b7353cc/GeODin8/hubertus/hubertus.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/5046fddd-ce76eff8-7714-842b2b7353cc/GeODin8/hubertus/hubertus-imported.vmdk
then replace hubertus.vmdk with hubertus-imported.vmdk once the import finished

if that does not work - post hubertus.vmdk - that should be a small textfile next to a large binary file named hubertus-flat.vmdk

0 Kudos