VMware Cloud Community
TManzi
Contributor
Contributor

Image Compliance CPU not supported

I have two hosts with the same CPU in each (one Dell r430, one Cisco C220-M4S) that are running into the same issue.  In the image upgrade I am getting 'The CPU on the host is not supported by the image' however according to the vmware compatibility guide, it is

(https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=server&details=1&partner=23...)

So what can I do to get this cleared out?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported so moderators know it should be moved to the area for ESXi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sramanuja
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is this the VMware provided ISO image or the OEM custom image?

0 Kudos
TManzi
Contributor
Contributor

This is through the built in update option of vcenter

TManzi_0-1644585658726.png

0 Kudos
vjrk83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

same error for me as well. Ours is a HPE Custom image . Also It shows the error as "An unknown error occurred while performing the operation."

Any thoughts ? 

0 Kudos
TechnoNotice666
Contributor
Contributor

HAs anyone found a solution to this error. 

We have the same error showing in Image compliance for a HPe DL360 g9 with a Intel Xeon E5-2660 v3 or Intel Xeon E5-2697 v3.

All appear on the vmware HCL.  

What CPU's are other people using when they see the error?

DizzyDevil
Contributor
Contributor

.... same on the following ...

HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen9 - Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz

also on hcl ; image was downloaded from vmware.

https://www.vmware.com/hcl 

0 Kudos
ChicaneUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you anywhere with this, with VMware at all? We have the same warning on some hosts with the E5-4650 v3 even though it is a currently supported CPU (though deprecated for future releases) - so why doesnt' Lifecycle Manager support it, if it's supported?

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?scat=cpu&productid=105&deviceCategory=serv...
0 Kudos
dib
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a Call and got back this KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/82794

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

See https://williamlam.com/2022/10/using-vsphere-lifecycle-manager-vlcm-to-remediate-nested-esxi-host-wi... for the workaround required to get vLCM to allow remediation to proceed

0 Kudos
TechnoNotice666
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks dib and lamw for the information. 

So, what they are saying is that because VMWare won't be supporting the CPUs in a future release, we will break the current release as well!

We have Physical ESXi hosts with a "currently" supported CPU which apparently can no longer be updated without making changes that require a reboot, before we can update them to the latest patch release.  No nested ESXi here. 

I will test it later this week to see if the workaround of appending allowLegacyCPU=true to the kernelopt line in the /bootbank/boot.cfg works for us. 

0 Kudos
dib
Contributor
Contributor

The Article says:

CPU Support Discontinuation In Future Major vSphere Releases
These CPUs will continue to be supported by all current and future vSphere 7.0x releases, updates, and patches.
But may lose that support in a future major vSphere release.

Customers should already see these warning messages in vSphere 7.0 GA onwards for Intel Sandy Bridge, Intel Ivy Bridge-DT CPUs, and AMD Bulldozer CPUs. For the remaining CPUs in the tables below, the warning message has been added into vSphere 7.0 Update 2 and later.

0 Kudos
TechnoNotice666
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I understand the documents, but we are not getting a warning that it wont be supported in the future, but a notification its not supported now with the current release.. 

"The CPU on the host is not supported by the image" 

For me its with a  DL380 g9 with and Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 v3 running ESXi 7.0 U3f and wanting to update to 7.0 U3g or U3i

This host is listed on the HCL list as supported with 7.0 U3.  Is there any way to see why vCenter thinks the host is not supported? Logs etc?   

0 Kudos
dib
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry, you're right, we are getting the same Message "The CPU on the host is not supported by the image."

Now I'm curious for the answer from VMware Support (call is still open), if this is a hardstop in the current updating process for us or not.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

If the CPU is on the HCL then it is supported, not sure why this issue hasn't been fixed yet, I can imagine how frustrating and confusing this is.

0 Kudos
samd256
Contributor
Contributor

Is there an update on this issue (or an approved workaround)?  Am seeing the same thing trying to upgrade to 7.0 U3i - 20842708 on CPUs that are supported for 7.0 (but not 8.0)., viz., Ivy Bridge xeons.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been reported internally and is being looked into. I'll ask if the team can publish a KB regarding the outcome and any "official" workarounds. For now, if you need to proceed, please see the workaround I've mentioned in the blog post which is viable for the issue being observed

0 Kudos
samd256
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Will.  I can confirm that adding enableLegacyCPU=true to kernelopt has changed the blocking error to a warning only that allows remediation to proceed.  

0 Kudos
terryfrost2390
Contributor
Contributor

I also had such an error. And it turned out that these are problems of the visual part. Because I used low-quality pictures in my celebrity project. Therefore, I decided to buy professional elizabeth hurley images and it brought excellent results. In general, I realized that you need to use only high-quality visual content. After all, it helps to create and strengthen the corporate identity of the website. By using custom images, graphics, and illustrations, a website can create a distinct and memorable visual style that reflects its brand's personality and values.

0 Kudos